Help with mods

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So LED 5 & 6 are the clippers then?
I would consider LED 2 and 3 to be a form of clipper as well, or at least a distortion circuit. If you suddenly decrease the gain when a signal crosses a voltage threshold that will result in a characteristic flat-top look to a waveform. I guess we could debate the fine points of whether that is a "clipper" or some other type of distortion, but that doesn't really seem like a useful distinction to me. The point is that the two op-amp circuits have different distortion characteristics, so you need to decide if you like and want to keep either, or if you just want the op-amps to provide clean gain and let the triode provide all the distortion character.

Those two different configurations do sound different. IMO even the diodes in opamp fb loop sound rather unconvincing by themselves. Combined with some tube clipping........now thats a different story. The anti parallel diodes to gnd can be softened up by including a resistor.........of course as you keep increasing level the opamp driving them will clip hard at some point. The filtering after the clipping is a bigger factor IMO. The raw output of either config mentioned above blows, IMO.

Well, thanks for all your help guys. I was able to do a few little mods here and there and got something that I think is alot better then stock. It's still nothing more then a practice amp (I use my DSL 40C mainly)..

But, again thank you for the help!

Latest posts

Back