Hi End ADA Converters And Even In Their Price ... 8 (

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r2d2

A bit hard to understand why the prices may also exceed 25000 bucks,
sounding really out of any reasonable acceptability... ,

trying to quantify their cost of production
- Case with connectors and front panel with control parts (display. switches, encoders) : 200/500 ?
- Psu : It very looks like to be much smaller than 1 for assembled PC computers whose cost to final client is around 30/70 ,
- Mainboard Pcb with connectors for daughters i-o cards/boards, and CPU for manage the channels routings : 80/300 ?
- I-O cards/boards : No expensive audio transformers, no tubes, no DOA, and similars... , only ICs on analog line in-out sections, the rest all digital "chips".

So what makes them so expensive ?

Thanks in advance for any "fee" about.

There are many factors to the price of an item.
I heard from a little birdie that a famous 3 letter company get's their output transformers at 7 dollars each. is that reflected in the cost of a mic pre or eq? Hardly.
The bottom line is that people will pay what they charge because they feel they are getting value.
R&D takes time and is a big cost. With the ever world of computers changing, R&D is continuous and that costs.

A bit hard to understand why the prices may also exceed 25000 bucks,
sounding really out of any reasonable acceptability... ,

trying to quantify their cost of production
- Case with connectors and front panel with control parts (display. switches, encoders) : 200/500 ?
- Psu : It very looks like to be much smaller than 1 for assembled PC computers whose cost to final client is around 30/70 ,
- Mainboard Pcb with connectors for daughters i-o cards/boards, and CPU for manage the channels routings : 80/300 ?
- I-O cards/boards : No expensive audio transformers, no tubes, no DOA, and similars... , only ICs on analog line in-out sections, the rest all digital "chips".

So what makes them so expensive ?

Thanks in advance for any "fee" about.
Which specific item are you talking about?

There are many factors to the price of an item.
I heard from a little birdie that a famous 3 letter company get's their output transformers at 7 dollars each. is that reflected in the cost of a mic pre or eq? Hardly.
The bottom line is that people will pay what they charge because they feel they are getting value.
R&D takes time and is a big cost. With the ever world of computers changing, R&D is continuous and that costs.

R&D ?
Really ?
What "heavy" R&D ?

Isn't everything now a copy and paste one with the other with some custom modifications,
(.. obviously with different front controls panel shape..)
more or less based all on the same AD-DA chips
like this one available for very few bucks : https://www.ti.com/product/TLV320ADC3140
correlated with documentation and technical support for proper use and operation ?

Or are we perhaps still in the early 80s
when the first "big case" full of cards digital recorders on tape were starting to appear ?
(derived from early computer storage cabinets on tape reel)
Like the Sony Pcm 3324 (24 tracks) followed by the 3348HR (48 tracks), Mitsubishi X800 , X850 , X880....
from which all others tape reel based, video cassette, DAT tape, up to hard drives, were then derived,
(samplers included)
all thanks to "those" AD-DA chips,

used also on most Hi-Fi "boxes" get paid like gold,
(...whose cost of the "elegant" boxes is much higher than the technological content ? )
where inside, however, there is very very little , as the channels are only 2,
with very very simple routings,

wouldn't it be very interesting to see what is soldered on "those" boards ?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back