Hi Ya'All I am fixin to fix a mystery piece.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunderclap

I have a portable, valve, stereophonic record player that I am trying to restore.I have no idea who made it.So I am looking for any information at all as to its origins.I do restoration,repairs and design of audio gear.I have been doing it since 1960.145_1000.jpg

Attachments

• noname (10).jpg
    noname (10).jpg
    102.3 KB
Is that really a portable vinyl cutter ?!? should be a lot of fun restoring and using :)

Welcome here

Cheers
Zam

Thank you for the welcome,Zam! It has been a lot of fun so far.I can not find out who built it.Most of the valves save for two are Mullard. Some of the coupling capacitors are covered in masking tape and the construction is high end.Their is a ground buss common and most resistors are 5% tolerance.The power supply rectification is semiconductor diodes.The speakers are Nichols-Quam with a substantial crossover matrix.I would appreciate any help at all.

Well it looks like you are the proud owner of a Universal Audio Laboratories Minuet MK-II, but you would have to be a much more dedicated and skilled Google searcher than me to find any info on it as the hits are heavily polluted with stuff from UAD.

Well it looks like you are the proud owner of a Universal Audio Laboratories Minuet MK-II, but you would have to be a much more dedicated and skilled Google searcher than me to find any info on it as the hits are heavily polluted with stuff from UAD.
Thanks Ike.I contacted Universal Audio they had no idea what it was or when it was made.I also contacted Quam they never responded.I have been doing repair and restoration since 1960 and I have never seen one.I keep good notes from past work.Those of us who are left from the age of the xtal set that I keep in contact with have not a hint.

It's funny, the pink Tolex (and maybe the booster seat in the background... ;) ) make it look like it was meant for a girl's party room, but the feature set almost looks like it was meant for broadcast use. Test tones? Really? Cool piece in any case!

Back