High B+ using SS rectifier

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That 700 volt cap has two 350 volt caps inside.
Cheaper to put a pair in series like Fender.

Look at a Fender pwr supply for the Twin Reverb. Healthy voltage margin for caps in the first section for the power tube supply. Then a 500 of 525 volt cap for the second filter section that feeds the screens. So it seems that the more ripple current you have, the greater the safety margin must be.

Also, the first caps sit on the upstream side of the stdby sw. The voltage will go up with the pwr tubes unloaded so you need to cover that I crease without breakdown.

I see 6.6 vac and below on heaters in most amps I service. Line voltages have gone up over the years, at least on the west coast, so a per xfmr designed fie 120 will suffer from increased voltages on the secondary side.

Choosing the correct pwr xfnr sure dies save a lot of fidgeting in the long run, and also names the amp more reliable. May as well take advantage of thus natural property know as induction.

That 700 volt cap has two 350 volt caps inside.
Thanks for the info. Manufacturers do not mention that in their datasheets.
So after all, it looks like chemistry hasn't changed much since my days on the schoolbench.
Choosing the correct pwr xfnr sure dies save a lot of fidgeting in the long run, and also names the amp more reliable. May as well take advantage of thus natural property know as induction.
+1!

Back