holy sh*t!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cant buy a Patriot missile battery or a nuclear weapon or a Howitzer. My right to bear arms is already being limited and infringed upon.
There's your false equivalency and/or association fallacy. Why should any law-abiding citizen of Connecticut have to ask permission from the government to purchase or possess a revolver? That's the reality of permitting.

I cant buy a Patriot missile battery or a nuclear weapon or a Howitzer. My right to bear arms is already being limited and infringed upon.
President Biden pretty famously took a shot at what he called "brave right-wing Americans" for their support of gun rights. He said, to take on America, these right-wing individuals would need F-15 aircraft (8/31/22).

This is wrong on so many levels but not taken seriously when uttered by "say it isn't so... Joe". :rolleyes:

JR

That's the reality of permitting.
More ignorance on display. That's not how permitting works in Connecticut: it is effectively a 'shall-issue' state. Try harder.

Name another enumerated right that requires government approval for it's basic exercise.

Rights on invention, creative work, intellectual property.
Business licenses, and licenses to work in specific occupations.
Licenses for use of radio spectrum to broadcast spoken word.
Licenses to maintain specific kinds of businesses that engage in specific operations, like adult book stores and alcohol.
The authority to specify the “time, place, duration, or manner” of a parade or other public demonstrations.
The express exclusion of speech through derivative works or other restrictions based on trademarks or other copyright laws.
Marriage licenses.
Drivers licenses for access to highways for interstate trade and commerce.
Building permits for improvements to privately held land.
Licensure for representing other in legal proceedings, despite the fact that everyone is entitled to legal representation.

More ignorance on display. That's not how permitting works in Connecticut: it is effectively a 'shall-issue' state. Try harder.
Your own ignorance is on display here. The "may issue/shall issue" debate is about CCW permits. No permission from the government should be required at all to buy, own, or possess a simple firearm.

Rights on invention, creative work, intellectual property.
Yes, protection of intellectual property is good. Much like physical property rights are good.

Business licenses, and licenses to work in specific occupations.
Places where organizations other than government can (and do, in many cases) work.

Licenses for use of radio spectrum to broadcast spoken word.
There is a need for some control of the radio spectrum. Not convinced it has to be or should be a function of government.

Licenses to maintain specific kinds of businesses that engage in specific operations, like adult book stores and alcohol.
Not a fan of most of those.
The authority to specify the “time, place, duration, or manner” of a parade or other public demonstrations.
Much government overreach here as well.

The express exclusion of speech through derivative works or other restrictions based on trademarks or other copyright laws.
Protection of intellectual property is not restricting freedom of expression.

Marriage licenses.
Another example of unwarranted government encroachment.

Drivers licenses for access to highways for interstate trade and commerce
Driving is not an enumerated right.

Building permits for improvements to privately held land.
Much governmemt overreach in this area as well

Licensure for representing other in legal proceedings, despite the fact that everyone is entitled to legal representation.
Self-representation requires no license.

Holy crapping Batman...

I grew up in a preachers home, was actually a worship pastor for about 15 years...I know the ins-and-outs of rural organised religion because of my background and where I grew up (Oklahoma)...

I have since left any semblance of organised religion but have not abandoned "faith" as a meaningful expression in the human condition...if you believe in God, power to you if you are an agnostic or Atheist, power to you, I will not discourage any persons right to worship or non-worship whatever they believe because I do not know the full details of another persons life journey.

I am currently "certainty agnostic"...in other words the minute you determine something is absolutely certain (painting with a broad brush here obvious certainties exist) I kind of stop listening to you...life with religion and science has to be somewhat fluid in my opinion...and certainty is an off-ramp for that...it takes you away from discovery.

For the most part I think Christians have lost the narrative...and I say this as someone deeply educated in theology, apologetics and ecclesiology...if your "Good news" is ramming holiness codes down everyone's throat then you've missed the message of the entire New testament...and you are miles away from any message that a particular itinerant Jewish rabbi presented (as laid out in your text).

Holiness codes have never worked and the 10 commandments have several different textual iterations...WHICH 10 commandments are you insisting on here? (Rabbinic Traditions and Catholic vs Orthodox versus actual textual differences are not identical in any sense of the word)

Society as a whole has needed some of these guardrails to get where we are...a lot of the holiness codes in the desert were actually what we would call "health codes" these days, which I generally support, but not shaving the corners of my beard or wearing mixed clothes or eating shellfish no longer have much to say about life in the 21st century.

Who benefits from imposing images of these codes on public meeting places?

Stealing is not even against the law in the linguistic sense, we call that larceny instead and don't get me started on committing adultery...

This is hypocrisy...the same people who are banning critical race theory have no issue imposing critical religion theory...

There's your false equivalency and/or association fallacy. Why should any law-abiding citizen of Connecticut have to ask permission from the government to purchase or possess a revolver? That's the reality of permitting.
Because handguns are for killing people. They serve no other purpose.

Protection of intellectual property is not restricting freedom of expression.
Have you asked De La Soul or Biz Markie (or even Vanilla Ice) how they feel about that assertion?

But that's just one of many ludicrous and unsupported assertions you've made in this thread, so.....

The "may issue/shall issue" debate is about CCW permits.

Laughably lame. I can't help you figure it out. You should study more history.

Sec. 29-36f. Eligibility certificate for pistol or revolver. (a) Any person who is twenty-one years of age or older may apply to the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection for an eligibility certificate for a pistol or revolver.

(b) The Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection shall issue an eligibility certificate unless said commissioner finds that the applicant: (1) Has failed to successfully complete a course approved by the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection in the safety and use of pistols and revolvers including, but not limited to, a safety or training course in the use of pistols and revolvers available to the public offered by a law enforcement agency, a private or public educational institution or a firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection and a safety or training course in the use of pistols or revolvers conducted by an instructor certified by the state or the National Rifle Association; (2) has been convicted of (A) a felony, (B) a misdemeanor violation of section 21a-279 on or after October 1, 2015, or (C) a misdemeanor violation of section 53a-58, 53a-61, 53a-61a, 53a-62, 53a-63, 53a-96, 53a-175, 53a-176, 53a-178 or 53a-181d during the preceding twenty years; (3) has been convicted as delinquent for the commission of a serious juvenile offense, as defined in section 46b-120; (4) has been discharged from custody within the preceding twenty years after having been found not guilty of a crime by reason of mental disease or defect pursuant to section 53a-13; (5) (A) has been confined in a hospital for persons with psychiatric disabilities, as defined in section 17a-495, within the preceding sixty months by order of a probate court; or (B) has been voluntarily admitted on or after October 1, 2013, to a hospital for persons with psychiatric disabilities, as defined in section 17a-495, within the preceding six months for care and treatment of a psychiatric disability and not solely for being an alcohol-dependent person or a drug-dependent person as those terms are defined in section 17a-680; (6) is subject to a restraining or protective order issued by a court in a case involving the use, attempted use or threatened use of physical force against another person, including an ex parte order issued pursuant to section 46b-15 or section 46b-16a; (7) is subject to a firearms seizure order issued prior to June 1, 2022, pursuant to section 29-38c after notice and hearing, or a risk protection order or risk protection investigation order issued on or after June 1, 2022, pursuant to section 29-38c; (8) is prohibited from shipping, transporting, possessing or receiving a firearm pursuant to 18 USC 922(g)(4); or (9) is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States.

Have you asked De La Soul or Biz Markie (or even Vanilla Ice) how they feel about that assertion?
Are they incapable of creating new material? Has any government agency restricted these "artists" from doing so?

But that's just one of many ludicrous and unsupported assertions you've made in this thread, so.....
And you won't argue with these assertions, but prefer to take a drive-by swing at me instead. Very convincing!

Last edited:
Laughably lame. I can't help you figure it out. You should study more history.
In the context of current 2A legal discussion/debate, the term "shall issue" is commonly used to describe states where concealed carry permits are issued with no subjective criteria. I've never heard anyone refer to purchase/ownership permits as "shall issue."

Again, if you have to ask permission from the government, it is no longer a right, but a mere privilege. How would you feel about "shall issue" government permits for purchasing or possession of printed material, or to access the internet? That is the 1A analogy here despite all of the dodging and weaving.

Last edited:
And you won't argue with these assertions, but prefer to take a drive-by swing at me instead.
Why bother arguing anything with you? You've brushed off every bit of logic, law and evidence lined up against you so far--why would I expect anything I say, no matter how insightful, to have any impact whatsoever on your already-made-up mind?

Of course, you also missed the whole point of my argument as well. Maybe you're just not a fan of hip hop.

Why bother arguing anything with you? You've brushed off every bit of logic, law and evidence lined up against you so far--why would I expect anything I say, no matter how insightful, to have any impact whatsoever on your already-made-up mind?
In my opinion, you haven't made any compelling case for "permits" not being an infringement on an enumerated right. You never answer true analogies to the 1A. I wonder why.

Should we expect permits for privacy next? What's the fee?

Of course, you also missed the whole point of my argument as well. Maybe you're just not a fan of hip hop.
I'm not. But there have been other cases of "excessive borrowing" in music outside of rap. Do you support intellectual property rights or not?

Holiness codes have never worked and the 10 commandments have several different textual iterations...WHICH 10 commandments are you insisting on here? (Rabbinic Traditions and Catholic vs Orthodox versus actual textual differences are not identical in any sense of the word)
Here are the commandments as enumerated in the bill:

The text of the poster or framed copy of the Ten Commandments described by Subsection (a) must read as follows:

"The Ten Commandments

I AM the LORD thy God.
Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Thou shalt not make to thyself any graven images.

Thou shalt not take the Name of the Lord thy God in vain.

Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Honor thy father and thy mother, that thy days may be long upon the
land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.

Thou shalt not kill.

Thou shalt not commit adultery.

Thou shalt not steal.

Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house.
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his manservant, nor
his maidservant, nor his cattle, nor anything that is thy

neighbor's."

Texas SB1515 | 2023-2024 | 88th Legislature

In my opinion, you haven't made any compelling case for "permits" not being an infringement on an enumerated right.
And yet you crow on and on about voter identification, and how paying a fee and filling out forms to get an ID in order to satisfy one's 14th and 15th amendment rights isn't a burden at all, and is necessary to make sure we have "safe and fair elections".

or to prevent people from killing us....

"God created men; Col. Colt made them equal.". So goes the oft-repeated quote about Col. Samuel Colt and his legendary firearms

JR

PS: "Do not kill", guns don't kill, people kill.
That’s what I said. They are for killing people. They serve no other purpose.

I’m a good guy so I should have a gun. He’s a bad guy so he shouldn’t. Couldn’t be easier.

Back