Hot Air Station Advice

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thelochias

If I'm trying to de-solder things like a USB/HDMI port, or removing capacitors/resistors and swapping them in microphones, do I need something like an Atten? Or am I fine spending 40$ on a random hot air station?

My experience is that a random hot air station can get the job done, but what you miss is confidence that the set temperature point is accurate, reliable construction, access to customer support if you have a problem, usual concerns you get with cheap (which inevitably means sourced from China) gear.

I am having to deal with that this week, I bought a cheap hot air station a few years back, it stopped working, found the usual bulged capacitor culprit in a switching regulator circuit. Found out that the construction was the biggest pile of garbage I had ever seen. Had to unsolder a connector just to get the PCB out of the chassis, had to unsolder a large resistor to get access to the capacitor pins to change. I was tempted to just throw it in the trash and buy something different, but that goes against my cheap frugal nature.

I recently bought a generic Chinese hot air station for about $55 and it gets the job done. For caps/resistors I'd still use my Hakko 808 but for a multi pin switch or connector, a hot air station let's you remove it without pulling your hair out. If you don't have a good desoldering gun, I would recommend that first.

I generally agree with ccaudle though. I fully expect it to not be high quality and I would like a high quality one - now that I know that it is a pretty great tool to have on hand. I don't mind it being inaccurate as long as it works when I turn it on. (but measuring the temp is an interesting idea - I'll do that).
But the Hakko is $850 and little harder to justify

Depends on how often you intend to use it. For once-in-a-while things, cheap Chino for USD60 (includes variety of nozzles etc etc) is more than fine and gets the job done. It's what I use for occasional SMD and also shrink tubing.

Latest posts

Back