House for sale - includes RCA mixing console...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Melcor EQ's.  And I bet many of the opamps (if still orginal) are actually Melcor rather than API, given the date of manufacture.   

He said the eqs would probably need to be recapped, all the pres were running 2520s and... he cant get the console out of the house without tearing the house apart lol.  We're still deciding what to do.  The house needs so much work for the wife to be happy... i'd be happy just tearing that console down and getting it back up to spec.  its gotta sound killer, even as just a summing mixer...

Might be a tough situation with the wife. If the wife is not happy, you will surely be miserable, cool console or not.

yeah.... i know.... :(  its really going to be dependent on how much he's asking for the place w/ and w/o the equipment.  Hell, i may volunteer to help him breakdown / sell the stuff if I dont take it or he finds a buyer that isnt interested in having the place as a studio.

sodderboy said:
That's just like the old console from IAR!  We learned routing by patching HP signal gens and VTVM's in and out of it.
It is all 312's and 550's built on what looks like a shop bench.
Just remember- location, location, location.  Of the console I mean.
Mike

I thought the IAR console had toooobes in it.  The story was that two of them were built, one for Elvis and one for a radio station or something and they weren't sure which one they had.  Hence they called it the Elvis console. 

Maybe Gold can ask Al about it.

mushy said:
Maybe Gold can ask Al about it.

I could but Mike also has the secret number that connects to Al's red phone. I remember Al talking about that console. I have some of the UTC/RCA custom made transformers. They have step-up taps for microphones and a 1:1 for line level signals. I don't think the 1:1 sounds particularly good. I've never checked out the step-up tap because I don't use microphones. I'm guessing they wanted to save money by using a single transformer but compromises were made to make that happen.

Console aside, there are strikes against this that put downward pressure on the comp price-
Westbury schools rank low on a list of LI schools.  At 7K the taxes are "low" for a reason
Last house on a dead end street in Westbury.  Just a guess, but is it the LIRailroad or Northern State Parkway as a neighbor? 
Owner selling, best offer.  If you have not been house-hunting already you will not be in a position to accurately price the house, and neither is the owner.  There is always a huge divide with most owner listings.  You need to have some searching behind you before you get a feel for the areas.  Find a broker you like and see some other places.

When you are house-hunting you have to resist the urge to "fall in love" with a place because love is blind.  I have gone through it twice on LI where there are some funky hidden places and the second time we had a list of our agreed priorities in a property and put it in our faces whenever we wavered on something cool.  Like the 1790 house in Huntington with the family graveyard in the back.  Totally charming but no closets.  Or a studio-house in Westbury that has two AC units both for the studio and none for the house.
Mike

I've lived in Westbury all my life so I'm well aware of the schools (which i went to for elementary school... but not jr or sr HS... for good reason ;) )  The N state is the "neighbor" which from inside the house can't be heard because of the work this guy did on the house.  As far as knowing prices and stuff, its all good, nothing you can't find online, (getting comps, assessed value etc etc) I work for the county and can get just about any stats or paperwork needed or wanted.  The biggest "problem" with the house is aesthetics.  EVERYTHING in the "living quarters" of the house is DARK wood.  Floors, ceilings, walls, it's a log cabin interior with a colonial exterior and the amount of time and money it would take to gut the house and make it something both the wife and I would want may exceed the asking price of the house.  We would have to pick this place up for the low 2's for this to be even remotely viable. (thats excluding any equipment).  So if anyones interested in a log cabiny house thats got built in clientelle...

You might be able to find some other DIY buddies though... who knows, he may rent it.  The house is just shy of a mile away from the LIRR for those who commute to the city. And its right near the N state, LIE and inbetween the meadowbrook and wantagh parkways.

Any update on the console? Did you end up getting the house and/or the console/equipment?
The reason is I have the sister version of her and would LOVE to share some information. Basically, RCA made them in 1969/70, mostly Melcor components, Airplane parts, Military equipment. Mine is in LA. Happy to post pictures.
Cheers

No, unfortunately the asking price on the house included the gear which the bank didn't care about since that stuff has absolutely NO value to them (or the home since it can be removed from the home(albeit with a ton of construction and effort)).  I don't believe the house has been sold as of yet, nor will it considering the asking is SO FAR above comparables in the area.

Back