Will these Chinese BV8 and T14 clones be upgrade from stock xformers?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Urskov

HI there

I'm modding two of the typical OEM Chinese tube mics - a T-Bone SCT-800 and a locally rebranded Nady TCM-1050 - into an ELAM 251 (T-Bone) and a U47-style (Nady) mic respectively.

I'm buying two capsules for two SubZero SZC-300 (rebranded ISK BM-700) from the Getwin-shop I've heard good things about. I looked around and also found these that I thought I'd buy at the same time.
T14: 22.0US $ |T 14 Audio transformer ratio 12:1 for studio microphone CK12 DIY microphone audio parts audio components|Shell & Body Parts| - AliExpress
BV8: 39.0US $ |Audio transformer ratio 6.5:1 studio microphone audio transformer for U47 DIY microphone part BV 8|Microphone Accessories| - AliExpress

I'm going to follow the mods laid out by Advanced Audio's Dave Thomas:
T.Bone SCT-800 www.advancedaudio.ca • View topic - Modding a t.bone SCT-800
Nady: www.advancedaudio.ca • View topic - nady 1050 mod

I assume that these will be an upgrade from the stock transformers in that they have the ratios Dave recommends?

It's completely impossible to tell from aliexpress links - what you receive may or may not be related to published pics or specifications.

Try it and report back here?

/Jakob E.

I've tried the bv8 you link, it sounds average at best, it didn't work well when i tried connecting it in a regular balanced setup (hi passed low frequencies), unbalanced it worked, but the sound isn't up to something like a tiny beyer dynamic transformer! You can find better alternatives for the same kind of money you're going to spend there!

I've tried the bv8 you link, it sounds average at best, it didn't work well when i tried connecting it in a regular balanced setup (hi passed low frequencies), unbalanced it worked, but the sound isn't up to something like a tiny beyer dynamic transformer! You can find better alternatives for the same kind of money you're going to spend there!
Thanks! That's the kind of advice/info I was hoping for. Will look into other options

Latest posts

Back