How many more times?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't find it very constructive to study history to assign blame, while it is useful to understand history to not repeat mistakes.

There are multiple reasons for the failure of the mental health system to prevent these deaths. Not just the modest numbers from high profile events but tens of thousands of suicides (while some might argue for the right to end your own life on your own terms if rational).

Competing with reduced funding for mental health care, is privacy concerns and poor record keeping that makes closing the loop on those who would harm themselves and others challenging.

We need to focus on the future and solutions, not partisan blame.

JR

PS: While I avoided the NRA press conference, the one sound bite that got repeated ad nausem was not remotely their complete position. They seemed willing to make adjustments as long as they were reasonable and effective.  They do not strike me as the problem here, but as long as we pursue overly simplified answers, we will get little accomplished. This strikes me as a debate for later in 2013, we have more pressing issues of state at the moment (that also won't get solved here).

JohnRoberts said:
I don't find it very constructive to study history to assign blame, while it is useful to understand history to not repeat mistakes.

I was assigning blame in the 80s--no need to study history.  What no one seems to grasp on the conservative side is the failures of policies in the past that are still being touted today.  Mentally ill homeless folks did not appear from thin air, the failures of the mental health system did not just happen;  policy was behind them.  Ideology was behind the policy.  The ideology has not changed much in the past 30 years--except that now it looks more like 1961 than 1981.

This
JohnRoberts said:
We need to focus on the future and solutions, not partisan blame.
is what Republicans say when they're to blame.  It's either that, or (if they think that they can get away with it) they blame the Democrats.  If we want to talk about mental health, let's start with the pathology of the modern GOP. 

JohnRoberts said:
PS: While I avoided the NRA press conference, the one sound bite that got repeated ad nausem was not remotely their complete position. They seemed willing to make adjustments as long as they were reasonable and effective. 

If you could show me of the NRA actually sounding willing to compromise any time in the last 20 years, I'd be gobsmacked.  I personally can't recall a single instance.  I don't expect them to start compromising now.  It's nice of you to be so generous of spirit toward them. 

You will always have some people, no matter how normal they appear, who will "snap"! Citizens of any civilized responsible society, should be able to own guns, with the exception of "weapons of war". You should be allowed a single bullet capacity for any given gun, forcing a reload after every shot. Any more capacity is not "sporting", and is meant to kill multiple humans. When the second amendment was implemented, it took at least a minute to reload muskets between shots, call it a slippery slope, or what ever else you want to call it, the creators of the constitution didn't have the ability to slaughter 30 people in 5 seconds on their minds, we need to make a current and appropriate set of laws, based on a new reality. To the constitutional purists, remember, slavery and barring women from voting used to be constitutional. It's time to get real. I've owned guns, but teachers and nurses walking around with concealed guns?? That is a remedy of the absurd! I don't want to live in your wild F#$kn west!, and no first world sane person should want to either!

Umm what I just said...
-------
I can not respond to vague claims about what conservatives argue, or anyone else.. more than that, I do not want to even talk about this, but it seems at least several respected sources challenged claims made. I offer the links as possibly new data for some.  I was not aware of those specifics, but not surprised.  In fact statistics can be deceiving, and in this case much larger ones seem to be completely ignored (total gun deaths).
-------
I heard enough of the NRA statement to form my own opinion, and it did not agree with the popular "gun nut" characterization. Opinions vary. 
--------
I am not friendly to any special interest group, and less friendly the stronger they are (like NRA), since it seems they all gain at the expense of the general public (me/us). That said I appreciate their constitutional right to lobby their government. I just don't care for the way politicians are so easily bought.

Perhaps we need to pay them more to reduce the temptation...    8)

JR

Tony, does your claim to "get real" mean that you support a Constitutional Amendment that actually addresses limits to the Second Amendment?  Or does it mean to go all Sotomayor on the Constitution and pass unconstitutional legislation that then gets upheld as constitutional by the courts?
I am all for protecting the lives of innocent citizens, but I do not trust Joe Biden and kangaroo kommission to propose anything of value.  Our politicians have become a ruling class passing laws dictated to everyone but themselves. 

Our leader could stop the future deaths of thousands more innocents today, if that was really his objective, with an executive order banning home swimming pools and turbocharged autos.  Those two classes of babykillers are responsible for tens of thousands of deaths with gun deaths not even a flyspec in comparison.  So numerous are the deaths that they are ignored by our caring, talented media teachers.  I mean, I like swimming and turbo cars and grew up with them, but they are just dangerous so they should be banned.  Some of my best friends have pools and turbos, but they are really unnecessary, harmful to the environment, and there is nothing at all about them in the Constitution.  They are easy to ban!  Let's keep the pools in the safe hands of our local governments and the turbos on the track to protect our citizens.

After all, isn't it senseless innocent deaths we want to prevent?  Let's really get real.
Mike

Not very productive suggestions.

Ignoring the larger issues (like the politicians are), if we are really concerned about school children being killed in groups in schools, secure the schools better. No I am not saying to bring in armed guards, but we can do a much better job of keeping the miscreants out, and slow any serious future attack down long enough to allow a timely armed response from local police forces. 

There.. fixed it.

IMO long term we really need to get a handle on mental health and connecting those dots of data, that we now actively ignore as some kind of personal rights issue. We are allowed our pursuit of happiness as long as we don't deny others their pursuit.

Not to veer off but also about the children, another disturbing piece of recent news is how many babies are being born already addicted to prescription pain killers. Looks like the medical community dropped the ball on their call about patients and the medical community's ability to manage those highly addictive drugs (like oxy).  Addicted births up 300% in last decade, but now mostly prescription pain killers, not crack or illegal drugs.

JR

[edit] an interesting trend in the anti-gun campaign, is for newspapers to publish addresses of legal gun owners. I'd prefer that they publish the addresses of illegal gun owners or perhaps mentally unstable gun owners. It is bad enough that the government keeps a list, but publishing it widely could have unintended consequences.    Interesting times.  [/edit]

All of this saddens me very much.  I have 2 little girls (under the age of 2) and I would have never thought I would be raising kids in this kind of world.  To many kids have awful parents or no parents at all.  I have seen this time and time again in my neighborhood.  Kids are having babies and in many cases they do it for a job to get paid more from the state (straight from a mother/neighboor's mouth).  Society is failing due to poor leadership in government and at home.  The lack of ethics, morals, culture and parenting are taking its toll on all of us. 

In the last 2 days here in Minneapolis 2 people have been found dead in allies from knife wounds alone.  Granted they aren't mass murders but the same problem.  Crazy and evil people will do whatever it takes to do their evil.  They do not value life and will kill with whatever method they have.  The nut job in Colorado who killed all those defenseless people in that theater also had his apartment wired to blow up with all kinds of explosives.  He was willing and wanting to kill as many people as possible by all means possible.  NYC has had 2 people push other people in front of moving subway trains to their death in the last few weeks.  The problem really isn't guns.  The problem is people who have been raised to have no value for life or are mentally ill,  often its both. 

I know that after a 5 year boy was killed 8 houses away this summer I got a gun.  The police always show up 20 mins after the fact and never seem to really do much about crime in our area.  Good people need to be able to defend themselves and their families from criminals and the criminally insane.  Waiting for police is not an option.  This is from life experience.  My neighborhood has been in very steady and rapid decline over the last 8 years.  I have witnessed much more then I ever wanted to.  I believe in gun ownership more then ever.  I also believe in having a very big and loud dog!

I truly hope people start to look towards real solutions rather then removing more rights from the citizens who obey the laws and contribute to society.  The criminals do neither of these things, more laws will not stop them.  If they are willing to kill they are willing to break whatever laws are put in their way to do so.  More laws will only stop good people (like me) from being able to defend themselves.  Just like Australia has seen happen with increased gun laws.  Solutions start to happen with a lot of little steps towards fixing families and teaching the value of life.  This happens in homes not in Washington. 

This doesn't even really take in to consideration the extra effort we as society and family members need to take towards the mentally ill.  We need to protect them and protect them from doing harm to others. 

My 2 cents

Not to wake up a sleeping dog... (here at least) I have an observation about "process" more than content.

While i hope I am not alone in defining this as a multi-part issue, so any simple single remedy is destined to be incomplete, i expect a fairly quick rush to pass fairly narrow gun control legislation, an old pet agenda of one political party.

The need for speed, in this case is to not let a perfectly good crisis go to waste and strike while the emotion is fresh in everybody's memory, to push forward one sided legislation, without thinking about it too long or too much. Walmart got a command invitation to sit with Joe Biden, not because they are expected to have some useful insight into mental health, or securing schools, but because they are the largest single (regulated) gun merchant.

The next prong of this fast track agenda will be a passionate rehash of this pretty rare tragedy in the state-of-the-union address coming soon. I expect there to be legislation available for vote pretty soon after that. Don't we have much larger problems to address?

Interesting to note that the schoolchildren up in CT returned to school with new armed guards. Hopefully this is more for the parent's peace of mind than any real possibility of imminent future attack, but they do what they must do. The kids who lived through that horrible experience are now attending classes in Monroe CT, where I lived for several years back in the "70s.

Of course this assumes some other major tragedy/news event does not divert the publics limited attention span. 

JR

PS: A few years ago we lost 250+ young children to flu in one season.. maybe they should pass a law against the flu. It would have about as much chance of success...  While i mention this in jest, however dark, if you want something to really worry about, how about drug resistant TB... While this was mostly an international problem in poor regions caused by incomplete treatments using inadequate amounts of older anti-biotics that allowed resistant TB variants to emerge, this super bug has landed in the US so we now have a new killer germ here to worry about. I wish the big drug companies would focus more effort on these resistant bugs, than longer-harder pecker medicines.  Anyone still not believe in evolution? Tell that to the TB that evolved to resist available medicines.

The problem with any argument around the low death rate associated with military style weaponry among civilians in a peacetime society, as compared to death rates with cars or any other statistic, is that pretty much all of the other examples trotted out actually meet a daily demand in their use, and death is a byproduct as opposed to an engineered goal in use.  You buy and train on weaponry specifically because you might need to kill someone.  I personally find no reasonable need for semi-automatic weapons with high capacity in any civilian role, and find it irresponsible for them to be fetishized and treated as big boy toys. 

Don't want to get too political so I'll keep this short.

We need to remember the 2nd amendment to the US Constitution was put in place with the intention that the people are free to stay armed to protect against a possible tyrannical government.

A government that so takes away those rights is exactly the government this amendment was put in place to protect against.

The first 2:15 of this illustrates some of the problems in a pretty humorous way.  Consider this entertainment. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgVCToGtid4

Now, having grown up around people who hunt, and keep pistols and rifles as a part of life, I know how to safely handle a firearm, does and don'ts, etc.  Usually when I encounter the new breed of city slicker with a sidearm, their weaponry etiquette is abysmal, and I feel like I'm going to get shot in a similar manner as seen above. 

Gunpoint, (Apt)
Wasn't the tyrannical government you refer to the British?  You are no longer our colony, in fact we are more like yours, so how can you fear a government that the country freely elects?  Are all good men destined to go bad once they get in office?  Tyrannical governments are usually found where there is no democracy (Syria) or a religeous theocracy (Iran), don't you see that your fears appear paranoid to the rest of the free world?

Why would the motives of a government that took away gun rights only be interpreted as tyrannical, why could they not be seen as a country finally coming of age and a recognition that the world was no longer like it was in 1760?

As I've said before here, European countries just don't get this 2nd Amendment stuff, how do you think we live without guns?  We pay the Police to look after us internally and the armed forces to do it externally, we don't have guns sloshing about everywhere so the risk is so much smaller, we are the living proof of that.  A society that needs so many guns is living in fear of it's own citizens so that kind of mindset needs some serious attention.  I think that the extreme inequalities in your society might have something to do with it too, there is probably nowhere else on earth where the differences between the very rich and the very poor are so great.  It looks like envy from the rich perspective but like a rigged system to the poor.
best
DaveP

Guns don't prevent a tyrannical government, active participation in the democratic process does. If the US government and its institutions seriously turned against their own citizens - what chance would average people with guns have against professional soldiers and the huge arsenal of WMD, drones, bunker busters and all the other toys a large portion of the GDP is spent on?

If you're serious about adressing the actual institutional problems I recommend this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Twilight-Elites-America-After-Meritocracy/dp/0307720454

DaveP said:
  I think that the extreme inequalities in your society might have something to do with it too, there is probably nowhere else on earth where the differences between the very rich and the very poor are so great.  It looks like envy from the rich perspective but like a rigged system to the poor.

Exactly. Most western societies have become more unequal in the last decades, but the US is worst now.

DaveP said:
Gunpoint, (Apt)
Wasn't the tyrannical government you refer to the British?
If you are actually interested in the answer to that, I would suggest reading the Federalist papers, a series of detailed arguments from our founders discussing the not yet formalized constitution. Our founders studied pretty much every form of government that went before, including using what they felt were the best parts of the british system.  GB deserves credit for spreading democracy around their extensive system of colonies.

The US separation from GB was not universally embraced by all colonists at the time and we split for multiple reasons, while taxation is the common theme. 
You are no longer our colony, in fact we are more like yours, so how can you fear a government that the country freely elects?
One need only look around the world for that answer. We have seen several "democratic" elections in the middle east where the more popular leadership group, changes their spots after in office. We can just about see this happening in slow motion in Egypt, where the Brotherhood, once in office are trying to move the secular government toward a theocracy.  Liberty and freedom  must be provided for ALL citizens not just the majority that elected the government.
Are all good men destined to go bad once they get in office?
Yes pretty much. Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely...
Tyrannical governments are usually found where there is no democracy (Syria) or a religeous theocracy (Iran), don't you see that your fears appear paranoid to the rest of the free world?
Just because you are paranoid does not meant they are not after you (or your guns).
Why would the motives of a government that took away gun rights only be interpreted as tyrannical, why could they not be seen as a country finally coming of age and a recognition that the world was no longer like it was in 1760?
I see a disconnect in government with many ignoring some of the ugly realities.

Passing a new law in response to a tragic event that was already illegal seems a little misguided. To the cynical (like me) this looks like a transparent attempt by one political fraction to promote an old agenda using this tragic event as the rallying crisis. Not to mention the constitutional questions raised by Obama's threat of using executive order if he doesn't get his way in congress (which he isn't likely to).  Executive order vs the 2nd amendment will surely end up in the supreme court. 
As I've said before here, European countries just don't get this 2nd Amendment stuff, how do you think we live without guns?  We pay the Police to look after us internally and the armed forces to do it externally, we don't have guns sloshing about everywhere so the risk is so much smaller, we are the living proof of that.
I still read news reports of gun violence in Europe, while I do not dispute that having less guns would result in less gun violence. Just like less crazy people would result in less crazy acts. Much of the debate here connected with this seems unrealistic. There has been much public disdain for even putting armed guards in schools, but the parents in CT don't seem to object to that plan, now.
A society that needs so many guns is living in fear of it's own citizens so that kind of mindset needs some serious attention.
Your opinion is registered... seems a little dismissive and pejorative, but opinions vary.
I think that the extreme inequalities in your society might have something to do with it too,
I have previously mentioned the economic element to inner city gun violence. We need more than 2.5% economic growth but will have a hard time getting that while borrowing and spending like no tomorrow, with a dysfunctional government not doing their job . The fiscal cliff was just postponed for a few months, not resolved.
there is probably nowhere else on earth where the differences between the very rich and the very poor are so great.
Huh... many people still want to emigrate here for the opportunity to rise above meager circumstance. But you must work and earn it here.  If anything we are teaching a whole generation to expect government to be their momma. 
It looks like envy from the rich perspective but like a rigged system to the poor.
best
DaveP
It is not a new condition for large groups of people to blame others for their lot in life.

The wealthy have long been an convenient target to rally the masses. Class warfare is a simple and transparent political strategy to gain power. There has been economic shifts happening for decades, while to partisan viewpoints this is the evil wealthy taking advantage of the poor, that argument is just to support taking that wealth and redistributing it.  A broader (and IMO more accurate) view of the economic changes are related to globalization. The largest economic wealth transfer is to the poor of developing countries who are now a lot less poor. If we want to compare wealth, lets look at the real poorest of the poor. The world is a better place today than even a couple decades ago for hundreds of millions of people. One can argue for a more nationalistic and protectionist policy where unskilled workers in a wealthy western country are protected at the expense of unskilled workers in foreign countries. This is a difficult trade-off, and my personal view is to favor policy that grows the total world wealth, over preserving local wealth. This is not a zero sum game, we can actually create more wealth with free trade and continued globalization. (That said I see scary parallels to the '30s where countries devalued their currencies to gain trade advantage, Even the Swiss are printing money like no tomorrow. Japan is still in the doldrum since the '90s from trying to monetize their problems). 

I am sympathetic to unskilled workers in the US who were compensated richly in the past for tasks better suited for automation. The free/easy ride is over, now they must compete with the entire world. Man up and stop blaming the wealthy who just happen to be smarter and better educated so better equipped to adapt to changes.

IMO really helping these under skilled workers is not providing unemployment forever, that only incents them to not search out jobs, but help them get training so they too can be productive members of society creating wealth commensurate with their needs. A strategy of wealth redistribution by government taking and sharing, will not end well (they always run out of rich people). 

====
Of course opinions vary so maybe I'm wrong (yeah that could happen).  8)

JR

JR,
While I fully realise that we are never going to agree on this, I don't think you can use the argument of Egypt's months old democracy and say that might happen in the US, that is a lame point and looks like its made just to say something, you will have to do better than that to convince me.

The absolute power thing has not applied to Lincoln, Roosevelt or Eisenhower I'm sure, maybe Nixon though.  Kennedy and Clinton had other issues with lust, but not for power per se.

So you do subscribe to American paranoia then, just take the Joe McCarthy fiasco for evidence.

I think that some of your leaders want to modify gun ownership because they are embarrassed when they talk to other world leaders, unlike yourself, many Americans don't have passports and get to see how the rest of the world lives.

I agree with your economic assessment and the exporting of jobs overseas.  All of us have to step up to the next level.  A government should never create a Nanny State, I agree, but it should show leadership and do its best to create an environment for its people to prosper much as Roosevelt did with his new deal.

What I mean by a rigged system is this: When parents are wealthy/intelligent/gifted, it is so much easier for their children to be successful because there is a proven pathway/work ethic/funding available.  If they screw that up then they deserve to fail.  None of my parents went to university or did anything airy fairy like sound recording or music, it definitely set me back 20 years I would say, and that's without anything really bad happening in my childhood, so childhood circumstances do affect us, its not just about getting off your butt.
best
DaveP