How much trannies?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radiance

How much transformers can there be in a signal chain before the signal deteriorates?
Let's say they are good quality transformers...

In my signal chain there are sometimes 8: console input (1) group output(2) compressor input (3) compressor output (4) EQ input (5) EQ output (6) console group return (7) console master output (8).

I don't hear any signal deterioration whatsoever, but curious I am...

Our Calrec UA8000 has transformers ANYWHERE - in, out, insert, even at places like reverse-talkback inputs and outputs.

And it's by far the most transparent-sounding desk I've heard..

Jakob E.

[quote author="gyraf"]Our Calrec UA8000 has transformers ANYWHERE - in, out, insert, even at places like reverse-talkback inputs and outputs.

And it's by far the most transparent-sounding desk I've heard..

Jakob E.[/quote]

Ok, so if they're of good quality the signal stays "transparent-sounding".
Can we say a good quality transformer does not affect the signal as much as say a good qualitie opamp....?
But what if we take 8 OEP trannies in series...that would give some serious "color" to the signal right?

My console is a Sony MXP 2900 (same as mxp2000). It also has transformers everywhere and so far I have not heard any serious deterioration of the signal. The transformers are also from Sony I think..

I feel there are many good transformers that are not transparent... I wouldn't use coloration to say it's good or bad.

Back