I Forgot More than most of These Geniuses will EVER know!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

analag

I work with the young kids who do mind buggling things in software, I do the marriage between fat analog and digital. Well I did. I've been building go fast cars since the Poor Man's 660 (erbody using that fucking slang now) I still visit the Drawing Board and good God where did the geniuses go! Gus, CJ, New York Dave can never be duplicated. I taught a lot of people how to simulate and even gave them my models to play with and watch them quietly disappeared as they no longer needed to come here asking juvenile questions. Big respect to PRR! Volker Meyer, I got love for you man! I have every variation between analog and digital mix down, Is there a winner...yes, there is.

Yeah man, I got the beat down from my audio affiliates to return. I'm building a pretty nice DAW, big SSD HD, xx terabyte secondary HD. Switching over to Digital Performer, Pro Tools and a arsenal of tube sh*t for tracking. Sorry but I was going through a pretty tramatic divorce so I disppeared and was too f**ked up to even support the PM670. Lost everything and regained more as of now so...quess what!

Remember always build the shit you can't afford to buy...it's easy. Ask me how I know.

Dave is not gone, you just can't reach him via gdiy methods.  ;) I still talk to him on the regular.

edit: and CJ is still around too just not as regular as he used to be

For me personally, many quests lead me to threads that date back to ~2004.  So in some way those "conversations" still are very much alive if one cares to revisit. 

Lots of big shoes, exponentially more tiny feets.

When do we get to see some analag custom iron threads?  I saw those yellow iron  chunks on the pm660 grand-dad.  Things like this drive me to ask why buy when I can DIY, and even if I fail it's one hell of a trip.  Not from a financial perspective, but from a "because I can" perspective.  Maybe that's a bit ego heavy? 

Something about "i wound the transformer inside that sucker" is not what a lot can say.  So it makes me feel good even to be attempting it.

sorry for the tangent, some of you guys are on a whole other level of intelligent.

A friend of mine once described someone he knew. He said he found him to be a well balanced chap. A chip on each shoulder.

Cheers

Ian

okgb said:
I am not worthy to post.

I strongly believe you are. This is a first class community which means everyone has a valuable contribution to make. For example, as a designer it is difficult to know just what level of documentation DIYers need. A lot of people, of all sorts of ability levels,  built my PMEQP1A project. The documentation I created consisted principally of schematics and hook up diagrams. However, some people needed more detailed information and in stepped other members of the community with beautiful full colour diagrams showing all the parts for a complete EQ , gain make up and power supply.

This by far and away the best DIY group on the internet.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
This by far and away the best DIY group on the internet.

Yep, it sure is and you are one of our most valued contributors.  I never fail to learn something from your posts.

I think OKGB was posting in jest!

I often feel like a time traveler. That dual deck switch (or transformer, or reverse log pot, etc...) everyone was waiting months to be restocked has either 300 available or is obsolete.
Often the excitement the designer had created around an ingenious project is long gone, and juvenile builders such as myself restart 6 year old threads for clarification on something nobody much cares about anymore.  Its been discussed repeatedly.  Redundantly. 
But not by me.  84 page threads can be a little hard to digest.  Thats a lot of info for someone who hasnt the experience and knowledge (and intelligence) the amazing contributers here indubitably have.
But I try anyway.
And sometimes I need to ask a stupid question or 4.
Cause I love this sh*t.
Coincidentally I'm building the d-aoc right now. Kubi mod, stepped switches, etc...  Using a bunch of the techniques, and implementing various modifications I learned on this forum. I'm enjoying every minute of it.  And much like the d-la2a theres a couple of parts im a little confused about.
But with a little time traveling, a good deal of research, a couple of silly questions, and a little bit of loot, I know im gonna have another masterpiece in the studio that I can say "I" built.
So thank you. And for what its worth I'm forever grateful
Cheers
Dylan

I've been in this forum years enough to see various of this moanin' threads and I don't fully understand them. Some people just want to build some preamps and compressors, what's wrong with it? some of us try to learn and this involves making stupid questions sometimes...

I think it's just easier to ignore than complaining.

My 2 cents.

JohnRoberts said:
pucho812 said:
complaining about any problem has never been a way to solve it.

Isn't that the basis for all public protest demonstrations? ("Hey somebody fix this") 

JR

yes but tdo those protesting actually fix things? Yes hey somebody fix this but usually they guy yelling somebody fix this has little to do with how it gets fix and then in turn will complain about that as well.

Back