Drip 670 v3 melting transformers wax

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schrobbelbop

My drip 670 V3 is melting the wax out
The sowter transformers and it covers the whole pcb it was angled in the rack so it’s across all the tube sockets all piling up at some HV connections…

Now it’s shorting hv somewhere when the unit is on operating temps and I switch it. Off and on again. I suspect a inrush current shorting somewhere by all of that wax everywhere touching 240/440v is that even possible ?
My 2nd rectifier tube (5ar4) has died

How do other cool this design? Or is it just a bad design and do I need to get those transformers away from the tubes?
Or is forced cooling the way to go?

Since production has moved to Carnhill I have experienced they changed the potting compound and often the transformers are shaking inside the shielding cans, you have to warm them with a heat gun to stabilise them again. It seems most wax melts below 85 Celsius so it's actually below the rating of electrolytic capacitors ? lt seems just a stupid idea to use wax as a potting compound. What other manufacturers use ?

On another note it's a bit silly that Drip did not put any provision for a HT fuse which would have prevented such a mess.

Back