I need 32ch of mic preamps my budget = approx 4000€ what can I get

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaston69

Hello to all,

I am new on this forum, however I got here because I saw a link on www.Gearslutz.com and I am in a need of additional mic preamps as my projects keep growing due to the fact that my client requires 5.1 surround.
The Philharmonic orchestra I am working for is 101 piece band so need more channels for spot mics etc.
Currently I own a Millennia Media HV-3D (8ch), Audient ASP008, Crookwood Paintpot, AMEK DMCL (R.Neve design) and on my RME Fireface UFX I have another 4 channels.

It has always inspired me to build my own electronics however I never did it although my father was an electronic engineer for TV & Radio (Tubes & Transitor technology) unfortunately he passed away 2 years ago.

I like in general open and clean preamps for classical/acoustic music but I like very much the charms of UA 2-610 however way to expensive (2000,-€ 2ch) as I make my living with classical music not with pop.

I wonder if we could built 32ch of high end clean mic preamps with a total budget of approx. 4000,-€

Any advice what route to follow?

I'm sure you could get SSL 9000 preamps in that price bracket and there has recently been a thread in the lab where demo recordings (of experimental classical music) has been posted as a comparison between FF800 and 9000 preamps.

I would prefer twin servo 990 based preamps, but I don't think you could really squeeze that into 4000 per 32..  large and clean :)

The Green pre costs about $80 - $100 per channel excluding case & PSU. Ptownkid has parts kits & I have PCBs

The 9k preamp would be similar, maybe a little pricier.

Regards
Peter

Currently the outputs (analog as well ADAT) of my preamps are going to a RME Fireface UFX which is an excellent unit however if I want to expand then it is better to switch to other options such as the AD-32 or SSL converters anyway I am planning to go into MADI etc.

I am a bit spoiled when it come to preamps, (Millennia, Crookwood, Amek DMCL, Micstasy) so if I go the DIY way I would like still to meet the same standards as I am used too.

I am a bit spoiled when it come to preamps, (Millennia, Crookwood, Amek DMCL, Micstasy) so if I go the DIY way I would like still to meet the same standards as I am used too.

32 channels of the same standard in your price range, could be hard the get, but hey nothing is impossible i guess....
Good quality components increases the total price...
Needs a lot of time, to build the racks for them etc....
Racks and engraving cost money, you'd better drill holes yourself and not reach for a nice frontpanel,  etc...
Cut the corners on what's not needed here = the looks
Then might do?

what others think?

if you want 32 channels of DIY mic pre's my 2 cents would be build some that 1570 pre amps. Build it right off the data sheet.  Can build them without the 1571 digital control.

Plus at a price of around 6 dollars per chip, would easily save you some cash...

Gaston69 said:
Hello to all,

I am new on this forum, however I got here because I saw a link on www.Gearslutz.com and I am in a need of additional mic preamps as my projects keep growing due to the fact that my client requires 5.1 surround.
The Philharmonic orchestra I am working for is 101 piece band so need more channels for spot mics etc.
Currently I own a Millennia Media HV-3D (8ch), Audient ASP008, Crookwood Paintpot, AMEK DMCL (R.Neve design) and on my RME Fireface UFX I have another 4 channels.

It has always inspired me to build my own electronics however I never did it although my father was an electronic engineer for TV & Radio (Tubes & Transitor technology) unfortunately he passed away 2 years ago.

I like in general open and clean preamps for classical/acoustic music but I like very much the charms of UA 2-610 however way to expensive (2000,-€ 2ch) as I make my living with classical music not with pop.

I wonder if we could built 32ch of high end clean mic preamps with a total budget of approx. 4000,-€

Any advice what route to follow?

Sounds like a bit of work :) Depending on your location, perhaps you can find a prodigy pro member with something you could tryout before comitting to 32 channels? I'm sure its doable within your budget, even with getting ready made metalwork. Good luck

I would almost get a bunch of SCA T-15 kits. You can put 8 into each chassis, without power supplies that's about 3200€. With 4 PSU's (I think you could build linear units for cheaper) That's about 4000€. That takes all the metal work out of the picture, too. :D

I had a similar problem (but I just needed 8 channels).  While this may seem like heresy, you could add 32 channels of 24bit, 44.1K/48K Hz sample rate with the ADA-8000.

My plan was to bypass the preamps and use my own API 500 series modules.

You could have all 32 channels, up and running with acceptable (I know this is subjective) preamps for less than 700€, and keeps some budget to add what you want on the front (convert just some of the channels to skip the preamp stage, you can do this on a channel by channel basis pretty easily).  Many folks say you don't need to to this mod (but without the mod the line level input is attenuated and then amplified in the mic pre which has to add to the noise level).

If you do go this route, do some searching on this board there are some power supply problems with the units, and they are a bit sensitive to high AC line (you say MAINS) voltage, and there are several workarounds for this on the board.

Also be aware the inputs are on the FRONT of the rack (both line and MIC)

Also... the latest versions have changed schematic I think ( I have another post asking about this) but I think the mod still looks doable.

They do have a BNC wordclock in.

They don't do 96K, but I have to assume with that many channels neither do you.

And, I got through the whole post without mentioning the brand name... (the "B" word.)

> 101 piece band so need more channels for spot mics

You want good stuff for the main pair, the soloist, first violin stand, and percussion. Maybe clarinet.

Violas, bass, brass can use lesser stuff.

I suspect if I blindfolded you, you couldn't tell if I did half the job with 8/$99 rack preamps. If only because that leaves a lot more budget for the mains and critical leads: 16 fine preamps for 3700€ (and 16 at 300€) is a lot more likely.

And of course you can invest in stages, work your way up to 32 sexy boxes in a few years.

Hello Folks,

What an enthusiasm here on this forum and lots of good advice.

PRR, you are correct of course we don't need 32ch. of Millennia Media / Crookwood quality preamps.
My main pair microphones are driven by Millennia and a remote controlled Paintpot however what is important in recording such a big orchestra is that you use the same microphones/Preamps and converters per section for example use 6 to 8 microphones for the strings in order to get a homogeneous sound.

By the way I looked at Samuel Groner's website and saw a nice piece of kit, the 8ch Monte Zucchero however this statement is purely based on the looks and the story he wrote don't know how it sounds and if is suitable for my purpose. Can anybody advice on sound and costs?

P.S.: Don't need the AD conversion as I will be using an external converter such as RME or SSL (MADI)

After a bit of reading on various websites I start realizing that 32ch for 4000€ will hard to establish if I would like to maintain the same standards as Millennia for example. So like proposed by others I might just start with 8ch and built more if required.
What are good alternatives for a Millennia?

Back