I now have five diy tubemics sitting in my livingroom

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonkan

DIY is too addictive. Im trying to get out while I can.

I have 1 g7, 2 Ioaudio mk7 with dale caps, 2 Mk47 with beeznees caps. A sound skulptor STS, an "ultimate" dual pcb GSSL, DIY monitors, Diy amps, Diy Subs, and diy acoustic treatment. Not to mention the 12 ch of preamps ive built that are in my rehersal space.  One nearly completed DAOC, one half completed poor mans 670, and some bits and pieces of amps and eq:s and stuff lying around.  All this in my living room or bedroom....

And, the thing is.... I dont really have that much use it! (but i love each and every bit of kit ive worked on!)

Cant even count how much i spent, but soon i would have to start a studio to make it atleast semi legit...  ;)

Im thinking im probably not the only one, right?
Cheers to the gift and the curse that is DIY!
Jonas

It certainly does get to be quite out of hand  ::)

Same problem as you describe, here.
Worse. A lot worse actually.

I'm starting to sell off as much of the commercial units I have before any of the diy stuff.
After that, some of the diy items. And some guitars too!

The whole thing gets kind of silly if you are not a professional user or seller.

Then again, it has been a long time - 25yrs of acquiring music stuff.

There's probably a name for it - music equipment accumulation syndrome.

Oh well - there's worse things to drain one's finances with.
And at least it keeps one's mind ticking over all the time - designing, scheduling, calculating and all that.

Cheers

Bravo for your good productivity
I personally don't get allot of pride of accomplishment , it's just a means to an end for me
if I had the money I'd just buy the stuff but when I don't have allot of time  [ or enough success ]
I end up with unfinished projects , At least when I don't use something enough , I didn't get totally sucked in
by advertising and the money misuse is lower , Also the danger of grp buy speculating [ Better go in while I can ! ]
Hey I know we mentioned a 12 step program before but maybe it needs to be a mandatory category ? !

OK. So I too have GAS  :-\

And it is difficult to stop.
Sure I'm ploughing thru and completing a good variety of stuff and I am happy with that.
Of course, my units have been more about curiosity and pushing various personal boundaries rather than quality and sale-ability.

And therefore, it's mostly a learning and a life experience - enjoyable and very satisfying, but ultimately an indulgence.
Like a mid life crisis car.

I need to finish or start to 'make for selling' - that would surely majorly reduce my efforts, since there is only a small market very well serviced many times over (including ALL niches).\

Either that or do like the smart ones do - "if you don't use it xxxxx months, sell it!"
Remember that everything sells - it's just a matter of finding the price.

So - time to hit the ebay and the black market! And that 12 step program  :)

I am addicted to my GAS

I still hoard all of my gear from my studio days even though I have no use for it. A PCM70 that now just makes white noise because it was switched off for 7 years (wanna try and fix it one day). Three ADATS that I will not sell because they are worth more to me sentimentally than what I would get for them in $$$ (in case I want to play back any old tapes one day - lets not start an ADATS suck thing. I know).

I only discovered DIY after my studio days ended. What makes me crazy looking back that to those days is that I would have had one or two days a week to dedicate to DIY and had a real reason and use for it. Oh the lab, where were you in 1996!

Now DIY is my obsession, for which I have no time or real use. I am building this stuff because I love the build. I love ordering components. I love etching...... I am odd. I do dream of one day building another studio, just for the love of it.

I know people that spend $$$$ on making their exhaust pipe on their Nissan skyline half an inch bigger to get that extra 0.5kW out of the engine. Whatever floats your boat. If it is OK to do that, then it is OK to be addicted to pointless DIY.

In the last year I have collected parts and etched boards for......4xG9's, 4xgreens, 8x9k, 4x1176, 4xAPI pres of some sort, 2xGpultec's, 4xG7's, 4xmila's, 4xNYD1B's. Plus a bunch of the smaller projects like the studer EQ's headphone amps. And a bunch of 2A3 and EL84 tube amps. Pretty sure I have missed lots here.

But the actual builds have been on hold while I finished my CNC machine to be used in the builds. That is done now, so I am looking forward to the coming years of this list of gear coming to fruition. Then it will sit on the shelf and it will do nothing but enthuse me to do it some more.

Yep, I need help.

Tim

ive had the misfortune of being addicted to various substances but nothing holds you like the gear lust. ive considered pawning furniture, selling the mother in law into slavery, selling kidneys u name it, all just to feed my habit of obscure transformers and rare wax capacitors. im sad i know it but i cant help it...

leadbreath said:
ive had the misfortune of being addicted to various substances but nothing holds you like the gear lust.

The first paper-in-oil cap is always free, but then it starts costing you big time when you can't go without the next hit.

Rochey said:
pictures or it never happened.
X2 and for the rest, I think the world is pleased with the fact, that you guys having a precious fettish like GAS or CRAMP. Enjoy and adore it.

I feel super fortunate to be able to use everyday what I build from here and similar forums. my partner doesn't really under stand all the boxes of pcbs, resistors, caps, tubes and more,  until.i point out her stack of books!

in the end, is rather save 10,000s and still get quality gear to make ridiculous noises!

Jonkan said:
DIY is too addictive. Im trying to get out while I can.

I have 1 g7, 2 Ioaudio mk7 with dale caps, 2 Mk47 with beeznees caps. A sound skulptor STS, an "ultimate" dual pcb GSSL, DIY monitors, Diy amps, Diy Subs, and diy acoustic treatment. Not to mention the 12 ch of preamps ive built that are in my rehersal space.  One nearly completed DAOC, one half completed poor mans 670, and some bits and pieces of amps and eq:s and stuff lying around.  All this in my living room or bedroom....

And, the thing is.... I dont really have that much use it! (but i love each and every bit of kit ive worked on!)

Cant even count how much i spent, but soon i would have to start a studio to make it atleast semi legit...  ;)

Im thinking im probably not the only one, right?
Cheers to the gift and the curse that is DIY!
Jonas

You have officially motivated me to get started on a DIY Tube Mic which I keep putting off.  Or you could contribute to my slackness and sell me one of your extras!  ;D

Back