I saw inside a 4000.00 dollar speaker cable assembly.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Got to see inside a 4000.00  speaker cable assembly last night and a 12,000 dollar cable assembly.  At each end it was marked either amp or speaker meaning  they insisted on a direction.  Then the assembly itself was nothing more then a huge ass rubber tube about an 1" to 1.5" diameter in which several conductors  and plastic tube spacers between the conductors  were wrapped around it.  I have used quad cable with 2 conductors per lead but this was ridiculous at a whopping 4 conductors, I guess they really want to up the bass response? Even more peculiar was how each conductor was at max 18 gauge wire.  Very odd indeed.
The big difference between the 4k and 12k was the fact the 12K had all solid core cable vs the 4K having stranded.

Dam Audiophiles. I don't get it. Am I missing something or is it the whole You paid that much for it so you perceive it to be better.

Attachments

• speakercable1.jpg
    speakercable1.jpg
    53.9 KB
pucho812 said:
Dam Audiophiles. I don't get it. Am I missing something or is it the whole You paid that much for it so you perceive it to be better.

Haa

Yes.......But .....Hang on car coolant hose and  heatshrink tube has many uses,
The air expanse  in the tube,  allow's the electrons to "Breathe" creating a better and hightened audio experience.
With durability to support  tank tracks running ove it  in those loud moments, ?

:(

Honestly  Utterly Barmy to the Highest Muppetry of extreme of nonsense.

;D

The best was the 12K cable was battery powered.  I have the data sheet explaining why but then in the same sheet talks about how the batteries do not have a load so they last a real long time.  ???

pucho812 said:
The best was the 12K cable was battery powered.  I have the data sheet explaining why

Did it say "driven shield"? That actually could help if it was done right. You'd need a second undriven shield to make it work. A driven shield is used between an ATR-100 head and preamp. It is also used in the Neumann PUE74 phono pre.

I think an accurate description is that it acts a a negative impedance current source between conductor and shield. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I can post a PUE74 schematic if it helps.

Oh, right. Speaker cable. Wrong end. Nevermind. B.S.

Battery explained in data sheet.. I am copying and pasting it but will leave out names as to protect the stupid.

(patent pending): Unfortunately, because insulation stores and releases energy, it is also a “dielectric.” In a cable
application, all released energy is distortion. The misnomer “break-in” is often used to describe the pronounced improvement in performance as the dielectric adapts to a charged state as the cable is used. Whenever a cable does not have a charge on it, it is re-adapting to an uncharged state; it is becoming new again.

By maintaining a 72 volt dielectric-bias, far above the voltage of delicate audio signals, the "Name" system provides considerably better transparency and dynamics than is possible even from a cable in continuous use. It takes a couple of weeks for the "name" system to reach maximum performance. Since "Name" battery packs are attached when "Name of cable" cables are first terminated, "Name of Cable"will be approaching or at peak performance by the time it is installed in your system. Since there is no “load” on the two standard hardware-store batteries, they will last for years. A test button and LED allow for occasional verification of battery performance
??? ::)

I understand it all now they said it's a dielectric... But come on, it has a switch to power a LED, you could use it as flashlight when connecting your cables on the back of your rack, that's a good thing!

JS

So, i got curious and googled that 72 volt dielectric bias, and the company sell tons of overpriced cables... The bargains start at about 200-300 at crutchfield.com. 

What I want to know is, if you connect the positive of the battery to the shield and the negative to the outside insulator, how does that put any voltage on the shield?  It's like using your tongue to check a 9V battery, but covering the negative terminal with plastic tape... Would that bias my tongue?

Like all the people who go to Vegas knowing they're not going to win?
thanks for the pic

not hard to google some reviews
http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/59845/a-review-of-audioquest-leopard-72-volt-dbs-tonearm-cable

Quest audio  DBS ?  the above article mentions them winning a fight with monster cable , you gotta like that!
oh , and they do have to be broken in, Who's to say the Emperor Didn't enjoy his new clothes?

Exactly. The companies selling to audiophools make their money based on the fact that hope is the last thing to die....

The first is your wallet.

> using your tongue to check a 9V battery, but covering the negative terminal with plastic tape... Would that bias my tongue?

It biases the plastic in the tape.

Who cares about your tongue (or ears)? That plastic insulation's >10Meg leakage is sucking-up your precious 8-Ohm speaker signal.

L´Andratté said:
Hey Pucho, did you cut it apart?  ;D

No. It came that way as part of show and tell night.
mitsos said:
So, i got curious and googled that 72 volt dielectric bias, and the company sell tons of overpriced cables... The bargains start at about 200-300 at crutchfield.com. 

What I want to know is, if you connect the positive of the battery to the shield and the negative to the outside insulator, how does that put any voltage on the shield?  It's like using your tongue to check a 9V battery, but covering the negative terminal with plastic tape... Would that bias my tongue?

well do you perceive you tongue to be biased?

mitsos said:
PRR said:
It biases the plastic in the tape.
:D

A one-leaded capacitor?

pucho812 said:
well do you perceive you tongue to be biased?

It's very biased against companies/products like this!  ;D

No, a one-leaded voltage source...

I don't get where the other end of the battery goes, it can't connect to the insulator, it would only polarize the insulator (I don't like bias when there is no current at all, a bias voltage for a determined current in some place else is fine, maybe is a problem with my english). You need a conductor on each side go the insulator at different potentials to get the insulator polarized, if not the effect would only been present just around the connection point. All this is ASSuming this effect works, but even if it doesn't, well it won't work, it's not doing what it says it does (about the polarization, not the sound improvement)

JS

0dbfs said:
But which battery is going to sound the best???
Lead acid.. it's psychedelic.

JS, I stand corrected.  I misread their paper.  Actually, I missed the first two sentences of the following, concerning the negative anode.

The exceptionally simple design uses a wire down the
middle of the cable, which is simply an extension of a battery’s anode.
This wire is attached to negative (-) of a DBS battery pack, and nothing
else. It is not in the signal path and has no interaction with the signal.
Depending on the model of interconnect (analog or digital) or speaker
cable, an existing foil “shield” is used as the DBS anode by connecting
it to positive (+) of the DBS battery pack.

In my defense  ;D , the attached image is from the same paper, and shows the negative going to the outside insulator not some central wire. 

So apparently, the positive goes to the foil shield and the negative to a wire internal to the cable that is not connected to anything else.  So these three parts (shield, insulator, wire) could form some sort of capacitor, which is how I understand what is going on?

Attachments

• dynamicbias_image.jpg
    dynamicbias_image.jpg
    120.7 KB
Now makes a lot of sense, I will sleep so much better tonight now I've seen this explanation...

Seriously? the wire gets better if it has been used over the last few weeks? And you can cut your wait polarizing this with a battery? Group delay? COMEOOOON!! Are we seriously speaking about this?

Well, I hope it doesn't take your sleep either, see you around...

JS

Back