I Wonder

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of crap music is spun regularly on the radio. I have heard many so called hits with out of key 808 for example, poorly recorded vocals hiding behind autotune. And it goes on and on.
The beat I posted here is what I would call a rough sketch. If an artist comes over and likes it, we would lay a scratch vocal and from there I would tailor the beat to what the artist is portraying. This includes the way I would layer up things etc. Then we would go back and lay the real vocals.

Last edited:
For me musicality mainly stems from a bunch of talented people in a creative environment ,
Im not suggesting for a second an individual working at a computer programming cant produce works of genius , but for me the interaction leads to more than the sum of the individual talents .

Never mind sitting in your ivory tower Analag, bust the chains covid put on us and get out and see live music again , dont sit around waiting for them to come to you , you audition the talent out at gigs ,then offer them a chance to record . Im hoping to get my own studio project off the ground soon , I wont be advertising for any Tom Dick or Harry to come and do Eurovision entries ,fuck that , private studio strictly by invitation only.

Last edited:
Were bursting with musical talent in my part of the world , often its the interpersonal logistics of keeping the 'live wires' from jumping the rails and short circuiting the whole operation is the biggest battle . Costs of recording used be a big thing,now everyones got a recording set up , I firmly believe the talent needs to concentrate on the music , the recording is a seperate job ,
Engineer/producer would make a fine title , but I decided long ago my friends were better musicians and started out on the roadie , tech,electronics side, I can strum out a few chords to check the amps are working but thats about it , Im not tone deaf ,I can hold a note , I might scare myself into trying backing vocals sometime for shits n giggles.

The scene here seems a little unfamiliar too post covid , theres a raft of energetic new young bands , hungry for road and willing to play for next to nothing . The school of music isnt far from one of my boozing spots , I took the oppertunity to find out a bit about their music technology course , turns out now they actually teach Reaper as their main recording software ,which is great . The youthfull exuberance brings back memories of the past for me , although I can't help putting in a little warning about some of the potential pitfalls of the music industry when the boys and girls are belting back shots of neat liquor to beat the band ( 18 is the minimum age here to be served alcohol )

Another thing Ive noticed about life is sometimes as we get older we can tend to close the gates emotionally , Ive a few friends who once were the life and soul of any party they went along too , as the years have crept on and life keeps doleing out the blows they have turned into people who rather their own company and not engage with strangers anymore , its a defense mechanism I have no doubt . As a kid I had to change schools a few times due to my dads job , I guess it toughened me up a bit , gave me a resilience and an abillity to win over the crowd even when I was the odd man out at the beginning . It wasnt always easy , especially in the 90's when the IRA were unleashing attrocities on the UK mainland , many of my class mates around then were English or Scottish and it was really tough to break through the stereotyping and nasty comments ,but in the end I made friends them all . We came up with an idea to make up our own lighting boxes which we would hire out to other kids in the school when they were having birthday parties etc , we'd get the red carpet treatment where ever we went and all the girls would be doing back flips to try and get us to do their next party , those were the days . Luckily despite the ravages of time my good looks and delishously dark sense of humour hasnt left me down yet . I do have to be careful about breaking the hearts of pretty young things though , last thing I want is an angry daddy chasing me down the road with a meat cleaver and a hard-on :oops:

The sentiment of a man getting up there in age. I know the feeling. Back in the mid seventies when I was twelve my father sent me to his friends electronics repair shop on Saturdays and after school week days. There I fell in love with audio electronics and avoided doodling with anything else. Lots of singers in my family as well with my sister choosing that as her profession for most of her life. I've rocked the stage a few times in my youthful days, but the recording side is where my heart is as it brings together my two loves...electronics and music. My DAW of choice is Cubase and after some 30yrs I can navigate my way around it pretty well. I'm also an AMD fanboy, been building with their chips since the 486 days, finally we are leading the way. I am already plotting my next computer though my current Ryzen with Thunderbolt setup is no slouch. My kid brother calls me a plugin addict and I have to agree, which is why I'm always looking for Moar Powah!

Latest posts

Back