I Wonder

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man cave or is it a lab...hmmm. Work in progress guys, don't judge it too harshly. The plate reverb rocks hard as I get to know it and understand her tantrums! Foam is now glued lightly so I can rip it off if needed, but I don't think I will need to do that as I built it to function beyond my death like the other pieces! That side car replaced my mixer, lol. The lab is fully transformer balanced with the exception of my audio interfaces, Thunderbolt for recording and USB for mixing. Fumbling along, but it's all good!

Attachments

• 20220923_112729.jpg
    20220923_112729.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220923_154617.jpg
    20220923_154617.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Leftfield -Leftism , contains some of the most memorable and successful marketing tunes ever known , your obviously a fan too Analag.

I wonder if I could get paid off of a lazy beat like this. I've hear worse than this in daily rotation on the radio.

View attachment 98860

I like the beat, now get some young kid (girl or boy) with an average voice but good looks, preferably someone that got out of X-Factor/Idols/The Voice to sing over the beat and then yes you can get some income

To be really honest..... no

It's not the beat as "a composition" that's the problem, in my opinion it's the execution.

It sounds too thin, it does not make jump up from my chair or bop my head.
I can clearly hear every sound used is just a single soundsource, there's no layering.

Add extra layers to the kick and rimshot, layer the base sound and maybe add a subtle atmospheric layer with the sample.

Push the whole thing into a nice compressor set the timing to make it pump.

It sounds like it's made in 30 minutes.... art is effort and intention, lot's of it.

That's what I would tell you if I was the guy behind the desk of the record company lighting a big stack of dollar bills to light my cigar.

Listen to this;

When this beat kicks in I almost hit my knees headbobbin'

Hope this was helpfull to ya...

It sounds like it's made in 30 minutes.... art is effort and intention, lot's of it.
Hope this was helpfull to ya...
Less than 30 mins actually. Which is exactly the point I was making. Two loops and a bass.

Well, my guess.. spend a full day on it and you might get that into money making territory.

I would add some reverse drumsounds, subtle to give it more ....Whack ! instead of just tok, to emphasise the groove.
And make it sound fat, using more layers, make it sound "produced" and you need a hook, no hit without a catchy hook.

I moved to LA 12 years ago. When I landed here I still labored under the belief that some people who had success had somehow just lucked into it, or knew someone who knew someone etc etc. I very quickly learned that this is not the case.

Whether you like the music or not the standard of work and creativity at the highest level is really high. People who cannot cut it do not make it, I often compare it to the olympics when talking to young people starting out.

I can't count the number of rooms I've been in with high level artists producers or mixers whose work I did not like but for whom I left the room with nothing but respect. Maybe I wouldn't listen to their work but I could absolutely see/hear/feel why others would.

I can understand that believing that mainstream music is cynical, thrown together, less than etc allows people a fig leaf for why they haven't made it. The reality is that the people who do make it work incredibly hard, often at great personal cost. They are obsessed, driven, confident and competitive....even after multiple successes.

So to answer the OP's question, no you most definitely could not get paid from a beat like that. That says nothing about your ability to create something great though.

I think the OPs first post was more like a joke to criticize some of the present music that spreads on the Radio than an actual question about making money with that specific beat

I agree with the Critique

I think the OPs first post was more like a joke to criticize some of the present music that spreads on the Radio than an actual question about making money with that specific beat

I agree with the Critique

Ah! My bad. Thanks.

That said I guess my case stands, it's super easy to critique what's out there and really hard to compete at that level.

Ive been involved in various projects over the years where the music wasnt ,per see, my cup of tea , that being said if your in a room with creative people ,sparks fly and you end up along with them on the magic carpet ride .
I noticed you avoided the word addiction Ruairi , many of the most talented players I know locked themselves in a room and learned to play guitar as an escape from the life they were handed . If the underlying causes arent addressed and you happen to get fame into the mix it can be little better than a poison chalice for many. Covid did a lot of damage and forced many musicians out of work , not only could they not earn a crust , but the approval they get from performance in front of a crowd was also gone , the government here left many musicians and artists high and dry ,without a pot to piss in .

Ah! My bad. Thanks.

That said I guess my case stands, it's super easy to critique what's out there and really hard to compete at that level.
If I didn't know better I would think you're implying I can't compete? Or haven't been competing, lol.

Last edited:
Ah! My bad. Thanks.

I partially agree with you my friend,
off course being professionals in the music industry we work and worked with many people and music that personally it’s not our cup of tea, but we still know and praise that those people involved are very talented and a lot of work and high standards were put into it. I don’t have to like a music type to admit that technically and creatively it’s very well done.

But saying this, there’s also a lot of beat based music, that plays on the radio, plays on the TV, and it has a good amount of success that has no quality at all, it has no creativity as it’s just a copy of other songs (made with higher standards) and it was just badly put together so to make a fast product for a “fast food” market.

I don’t know if you have X-factor/idols or The Voice contests in the US, but in Portugal most of the singers that get out of those shows already have a huge fan base before they release any record because of those shows are on national television and have a huge crowd. When they actually leave or win the show the production company will want them to release a record as soon as possible and it’s normally very low quality made Beat made music.

Also when I listen to some radios that play Reggaetom I would say that 70% is very poorly made, I can say the same for some other music styles.

So yes,
There’s some music that we might not like but that it’s made to high standards technically, production wise, musically/arrangements and creative.
There’s also some music that is just pure basic crap

Back