IDC on a budget

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

Regular IDC connectors are easy enough to fit cables to using a bench vice. No special tools required. However, I have recently started using Molex Picoflex connectors:

https://www.digikey.com/en/videos/m/molex-connector/molex---picoflex-ribbon-cable-connectors

They are very compact and ready made terminated cables are available in various lengths at reasonable prices. However, the other day I needed to make a daisy chain cable which connects several boards together. With regular IDC this is no problem but with Picoflex it turns out to be a PITA. This is because, instead of the blades sitting proud of the connector so all you need to is press the cable into them with the cable clamp, with picoflex the clamp is built in to the connector and it is the blades in the connector that move up into the cable. As the blades are inside the connector there is no simple way to do it by hand. So I looked on line for the correct Molex tool to do it. Turns out this costs over £1000!!!! Eventually I found a needle file that just fits in the connector and sits proud enough to press the contacts into the cable in a vice. It is all a bit awkward but it does seem to work.

Ideally I would like to use a 'proper' tool but one that is much less expensive. Anyone else have experience with these connectors?

Cheers

Ian

Maybe find a machinist or eMachineShop or similar to make the blade out of the hardest metal they can cut the teeth into an then another block with a slot that the blade bolts into and then use that with your vise? Or make the "blade" so that it bolts onto a conventional IDC crimper. You need the blade with the teeth. After that it's not such a hard problem.

Here's a way to do it, although is probably not what you're looking for :geek:

I've acquired so many different connectors of different systems with varying compatibility and quality after trying to navigate and get an overview of the available cabling and connector systems. It can be hard to notice every little detail about something you've never seen, and just have to rely on your understanding of the datasheet.

I recently got some DB25 panel connectors that have an integrated idc termination on the back instead of solder pins. This greatly reduces the often quite tedious time spent on wiring. I whish my pcb designing skills would improve, so I could start making small adapter boards so as to use idc connectors with most available pcb projects that rely on the typical 2.54 molex crimp style connectors, that are time consuming to make and usually the main reason for any errors or problems I've had building studio gear.

Actually, I posted a thread years ago, when I first started to think about building an auxilliary send box, you chimed in and helped me along the way, and that project has now culminated in some pcb's after I was in contact with Joe over at JLM audio, who made pcb's to minimize wiring on a front panel design I had been working on for a 3u 19" unit. As you can see it uses IDC to connect the busses together.

Are you using flat cables for control signals, or audio as well? In bigger systems like multichannel mixers, would the lack of shielding make it less suitable than typical twisted pair in a shield?
I've seen some shielded flat cables used in some commercial designs, is this something one could make, or purchase for that matter? It sort of looked like aluminum foil the cable was encapsulated in.

Best,
Magnus

Here's a way to do it, although is probably not what you're looking for :geek:
Very interesting video. It looks like the part that presses down on the pins presses only on the outside edges rather than across the whole pin. It is certainly not a complicated shaped tool so I think my simple method was not so bad after all. Thanks for posting that video. I have a hand press so if I can make a simple adaptor that fits the Picoflex connector that may be all I need.
I whish my pcb designing skills would improve, so I could start making small adapter boards so as to use idc connectors with most available pcb projects that rely on the typical 2.54 molex crimp style connectors, that are time consuming to make and usually the main reason for any errors or problems I've had building studio gear.
There is definitely a knack to crimping Molex connectors. You definitely need a tool for that but at least they are not expensive.
Actually, I posted a thread years ago, when I first started to think about building an auxilliary send box, you chimed in and helped me along the way, and that project has now culminated in some pcb's after I was in contact with Joe over at JLM audio, who made pcb's to minimize wiring on a front panel design I had been working on for a 3u 19" unit. As you can see it uses IDC to connect the busses together.
Nice project and PCBS
Are you using flat cables for control signals, or audio as well? In bigger systems like multichannel mixers, would the lack of shielding make it less suitable than typical twisted pair in a shield?
I've seen some shielded flat cables used in some commercial designs, is this something one could make, or purchase for that matter? It sort of looked like aluminum foil the cable was encapsulated in.

Best,
Magnus
I am using them for dc signals from the front panel to relays on the main board but also for short lengths of signal from the front panel to the EQ componenets on the main board. Both seem to work well so far. Attached is a pic of my Mark 3 mixer main channel board showing them.

Cheers

Ian

Attachments

• Mark3TrackerPCBassy.png
    Mark3TrackerPCBassy.png
    853.2 KB · Views: 21
Back