Im quietly fuming all day

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Banzai said:
Trump supporter deletes thread about Trump, after deeming it disposable and of no value...

Great  ::)
I wouldn't mind deleting far more, but it is also OK to see them drift off into dormancy (out of sight out of mind). I am repeating myself but I find myself doing that a lot around here. I locked/deleted threads, including my own, to reduce the temperature of discourse around here.
No. That's not how the internet works:

Why would anyone put any effort into posting anything, if they're just going to disappear or be deleted?
Seriously?  I can't imagine citing web forum posts to anyone's bibliography of publications.

The brewery is more like blog where people scratch their itch du jour.  Probably more embarrassment than pride lurking in old brewery posts. 
... and thank you for the weirdest comment in this thread.
A bit hyperbolic but both Facebook and Twitter are struggling with profitability. The days of rapid easy growth from unvetted activity seems over, so costs to curate will continue to increase and profitability suffer.  I am not smart enough to predict the future with any certainty.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
I wouldn't mind deleting far more, but it is also OK to see them drift off into dormancy (out of sight out of mind). I am repeating myself but I find myself doing that a lot around here. I locked/deleted threads, including my own, to reduce the temperature of discourse around here.

... The brewery is more like blog where people scratch their itch du jour.  Probably more embarrassment than pride lurking in old brewery posts.

Message from OP to moderator, lost in ego...

A bit hyperbolic but both Facebook and Twitter are struggling with profitability. The days of rapid easy growth from unvetted activity seems over, so costs to curate will continue to increase and profitability suffer.

FB is earning over $1B profit/month, and Twitter apparently just posted two straight quarters of profit, for the first time ever.

Not exactly struggling...

Banzai said:
Message from OP to moderator, lost in ego...
Try to avoid personal attacks (its the rules).  8)
FB is earning over $1B profit/month, and Twitter apparently just posted two straight quarters of profit, for the first time ever.
FB lost $119 B of stock market value in one day...  a record and not the good kind of record.
Not exactly struggling...
The stock market operates as a discounting mechanism where present conditions are discounted in favor  of future expectations about profit and top line growth trends. 

Twitter only recently turned a profit (surprising most including me, while I sold my trade at a profit before they popped), but is in the news now for how many fake accounts they are deleting and modest growth trends.

Facebook keeps reporting and deleting activity from fake foreign based accounts to disrupt US political discussions. These fake accounts promote both sides of divisive arguments. This is not a new concept to disrupt western democracy, but made new by today's internet technology. FB is having to respond by hiring lots of humans to curate all this fake activity. Humans cost real money compared to their old cheap computer AI moderation that didn't catch the bad behavior.  The future trend for FB is slow/slowing growth, and increasing costs that will impact the bottom line (profit). (The EU privacy rules changes are also reducing the profit FB made by merchandising user data to advertisers.)

Foreign shenanigans on social media will be under a microscope for the coming mid term election, so lets see what else pops up.  Not exactly news at this point but worth policing. There are more serious hacking liabilities related to our infrastructure.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Try to avoid personal attacks (its the rules).  8)

Barely. OP states he (and others) aren't comfortable with what you did. Replying 'I wouldn't mind deleting far more' doesn't suggest you took any of it in.

abbey road d enfer said:
And I thought endless and useless discussions were over...

(Edited for brevity...)

'Endless and useless discussions' covers everything from politics and religion to vintage mics.

It's never over  :p

Banzai said:
It's never over  :p
That's probably why it should be burnt after reading.
If it was just me, posts in the Brewery would be automatically destroyed after a couple of days. I guess many posters would like that, the way they are embarassed when they re-read what they have posted while their brains were not fully on.

abbey road d enfer said:
That's probably why it should be burnt after reading.
If it was just me, posts in the Brewery would be automatically destroyed after a couple of days. I guess many posters would like that, the way they are embarassed when they re-read what they have posted while their brains were not fully on.

***** Like  :) *****

What an interesting idea. I would vote for that.  (I would suggest something like 1 to 2 weeks however) .

Everyone would know that the auto-delete would kick in on a thread and all the semi-hostile and volatile stuff in the Brewery would just fade away.

Cheers

Mike

I might vote for a month.  There's no good answer.  Politics/religion will burn something down in a day or so. 

There are posts in the brewery related to electronics that don't fit anywhere else, and they need some life span, though probably won't ever be found in a search, so expiration doesn't hurt.  Examples would be mention of the wildfires last year destroying the Hewlett-Packard archives, the Gates brand being revived, AKG shutting down in Austria, etc. 

I don't want to make more work for Ethan with new feature requests (auto delete) but can ask if the next version of forum upgrade has something already like that or something close.
------
For now I will just enjoy the kinder gentler tenor around here (always the optimist).  8)

JR

EmRR said:
I might vote for a month.  There's no good answer.  Politics/religion will burn something down in a day or so. 
posts with no activity relative to newer posts will already scroll down and out of sight.

The current political climate stirs up so much discord and anger, there will probably still be daily emission posted in some existing thread. 

Disappearing the threads will not make the anger go away so maybe posting about these topics in respectful (to each other) thoughtful words will serve as a relief valve.
There are posts in the brewery related to electronics that don't fit anywhere else, and they need some life span, though probably won't ever be found in a search, so expiration doesn't hurt.  Examples would be mention of the wildfires last year destroying the Hewlett-Packard archives, the Gates brand being revived, AKG shutting down in Austria, etc.

The brewery serves a valid function as a catch all for odd topics, we have moved some threads to more appropriate sub forums when indicated.

There is already a forum function that warns when posting to old topics. I suspect the time duration for this warning is adjustable. I do not know if this can be different for different sub-forums. and/or if it could block posts to old topics (probably).

anything can be improved but this place is far from broken.

JR

[edit] Twitter is now offering an auto delete for old tweets  But this place is no twitter, thankfully.[/edit]

JohnRoberts said:
There is already a forum function that warns when posting to old topics. I suspect the time duration for this warning is adjustable. I do not know if this can be different for different sub-forums. and/or if it could block posts to old topics (probably).

anything can be improved but this place is far from broken.

True.

I despise the warning, it makes people start new threads when there are perfectly good old ones to pick up and continue.   

scott2000 said:
I think this is true but, finding them through the search has been tricky more often than not for me.  If you look down at the related topics at the bottom of this screen, it's kinda a similar feeling when searching......although that related topics feature is really nice. It's very useful at times...
Judging from many questions asked around here searching is a lost art (not you scott).
I find I get side tracked into learning more about related things when I am searching for an answer than anything. A good thing for sure.....
indeed the knowledge available at our fingertips these days thanks to the WWW is just amazing.  ;D
I'm in a different place though and don't know anything really so my experience may be different than others regarding this......
searching is a little like looking up how to spell words in the dictionary. If you have no clue where to start you might not ever find it.  :eek:  but you will find other interesting words.  8)
If we're just talking the Brewery, I like the idea of inactive threads going away..... I really don't find myself searching for info there personally......

Woah...... I almost forgot what thread I was in for a second.....
Perhaps because I tweaked the title.  8)

JR

PS: I'm not very charitable (low empathy I've been told) but I have actually started throwing a few bucks at wikipedia when they teach me something new (not every search). 

Latest posts

Back