Inexpensive Function generator on eBay UK

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvision

While trawling eBay for an inexpensive function generator I came across these refurbished RSPro units. They are rebadged from another manufacturer, and probably not that wonderful but, at the price, I think it would be churlish to complain!

RS PRO GFG 8216A Function Generator Counter 3MHz (Sinewave)

£40 delivered in the UK

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334314463520

That looks like a good deal! I wish it was from a USA source. Someone dropped the function generator we had at the studio and broke the case as well as messing up the innards.

Bri

RS still sells them at £250 including tax so £40 is is indeed a bargain. Sine wave distortion is quoted as less than 1% so no good for measuring distortion but a handy test tool nonetheless.

Cheers

Ian

My usual response would be that software generated signals via an interface or integrated 'soundcard' makes these pieces of kit largely unnecessary. But given the cost and convenience I've just bought one of these. Thanks for the heads up.

My usual response would be that software generated signals via an interface or integrated 'soundcard' makes these pieces of kit largely unnecessary. But given the cost and convenience I've just bought one of these. Thanks for the heads up.

But with soundcards you can't really adjust zobel networks, check for ringing or work with square waves in general, can you?

But with soundcards you can't really adjust zobel networks, check for ringing or work with square waves in general, can you?
True. Not the applications I had particularly on mind. But that's why I said "largely". Actually can make a decent attempt at square wave within limits. No square wave generator is perfect of course. fwiw In non-audio development work I've used software controlled digital I/O to generate square waves. Digital logic is good at fast transitions 🙂

most old school scopes have a front panel square wave...
You mean the usually fixed frequency and amplitude CAL signal ? On all scopes whether old analogue or modern DSO afaik. Sig Gens usually have a variable frequency TTL logic level output.
No true square waves in music (or the real world) everything is rise time limited.

JR

Indeed. Bandwidth is never infinite and 'nature' is a "Low Pass Filter", or in time domain terms an integrator.

Back