Input IC news... What's new?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedF

Over on the Brewery site, one of the threads started to sidetrack into debate about input IC performance; and I don't seem to have seen much recently about 'real world' use of chips like the THAT 1501, or the new INA163. Are they any better than what went before? (and I don't mean TL072s!)
TI have kindly offered me some samples of new stuff, and I will post my notes in a couple of weeks, but in the meantime do you guys have a favourite IC that doesn't just look good on paper?
Ted Fletcher

i've said it before (and in emails) - the PGA2500 seems to be getting a lot of attention, however, you will need some digital mumbo jumbo to get it working.

In terms of noise performance and distortion etc. it is below other 'input' devices available on the market (I think it's because there isn't a need for a gain set resistor)

However, for single channel work, it may not be suitable because of the need for a microcontroller to make it work.
If however, you have a multichannel system (e.g. an 8 channel mic pre and ADC) then you might find it perfect.

Other devices that come to mind are the OPA1632.

Cheers

R

[quote author="Rochey"]i've said it before (and in emails) - the PGA2500 seems to be getting a lot of attention, however, you will need some digital mumbo jumbo to get it working.

In terms of noise performance and distortion etc. it is below other 'input' devices available on the market (I think it's because there isn't a need for a gain set resistor)

However, for single channel work, it may not be suitable because of the need for a microcontroller to make it work.
If however, you have a multichannel system (e.g. an 8 channel mic pre and ADC) then you might find it perfect.

Other devices that come to mind are the OPA1632.

Cheers

R[/quote]

Why would the absence of an external gain set resistor lower noise and distortion?

It does look like an o.k. part, with about 1.3nV/root Hz of voltage noise and fairly high current noise (notice how the noise performance degrades with 150 ohm source Z compared to zero source Z). Hardly state-of-the-art noise compared to discrete designs, but good for an IC. The requirement it talks to a micro is a little annoying, if only because you would like to keep those noisy buggers out of your system if possible---it's a challenge to confine the digital hash.

It would be nice to see a spectral plot of the noise and distortion to see where the sideband energies are, as well as some IM plots.

All in all a good effort and undoubtedly a convenient building block for uC-based systems.

Latest posts

Back