Input on this ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check what voltag eyou have in the middle of double 2.2k connection, check after Zener.
Check continuity of all ground connections.
Most easy thing to to exclude capsule connection faults - touch with multimeter probe gate on FET.
If you will get loud buzz, then you have working circuit. If not then not. I would check also transformer wiring since it's ami.

If you haven't read the rest of the thread, all the supply voltages seems to be quite some way off - that's assuming the OP's measurements were done correctly, anyway...

ln76d said:
Check what voltag eyou have in the middle of double 2.2k connection, check after Zener.
Check continuity of all ground connections.
Most easy thing to to exclude capsule connection faults - touch with multimeter probe gate on FET.
If you will get loud buzz, then you have working circuit. If not then not. I would check also transformer wiring since it's ami.

Khron said:
If you haven't read the rest of the thread, all the supply voltages seems to be quite some way off - that's assuming the OP's measurements were done correctly, anyway...

No i did not, i would get insane reading all the posts in  "my microphone doesn't work" threads :D 
Just left my few cents with some hints where to look and hat worth to check first ;) So if readings are "way off", then definately i would check all the ground connections.

Khron said:
Hum-de-humm... Do you happen to have another preamp / interface you could use for testing?

It's starting to sound like the phantom power voltage itself might be way lower than normal.

Although that still doesn't explain the apparent success(?) of the "mic is calibrated at 11.5 volts". :eek:

Hey Khron I think the best alternative is to just install the switches ahaha

"Best" in the sense that you can't be bothered to test things that might actually be useful / constructive?

The switches aren't gonna do squat for supply voltages that are way off (which have eff-all to do with the switches).

But hey, if you wanna waste your time and/or you think you know better than the people you've asked for assistance... Sure, knock yourself out.

Khron said:
"Best" in the sense that you can't be bothered to test things that might actually be useful / constructive?

The switches aren't gonna do squat for supply voltages that are way off (which have eff-all to do with the switches).

But hey, if you wanna waste your time and/or you think you know better than the people you've asked for assistance... Sure, knock yourself out.

Hey Khron I tested it on my Scarlett interface and a mixer with phantom power. I only hear buzzing.

Ok, this is a new symptom then?

Your initial message said "no output" -  to me, that means "not any sort of signal whatsoever".

npc00 said:
Hey Khron I tested it on my Scarlett interface and a mixer with phantom power. I only hear buzzing.

Those transformers are quite fragile. I once had a faulty T14 . You should probably check if it's damaged.

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=64614.0

Advice - you can chase your tail for hours or weeks, or can learn the generally accepted troubleshooting methods.

We need to narrow down:

Is it getting power?
Is the power going where it needs?

You need to trace the power on the schematic and on the pcb, from the "in"  XLR side, and see where it is going.

If the power isn't right, it's not going to work.

If the power on the pcb is right, then as khron said, we need to confirm the amp is working - humming/buzzing or a click when you touch the FET gate.

Don't start with "it may be" this part or that part.  Voltages.  Other alternative if you have a scope is to inject a signal through the fet and see where it goes away.

As other have said, this sounds more like you have a build error/bad ground that is causing power to not get where it is supposed to for the circuit to work.  Other alternative is that by bypassing the switches, you did it incorrectly and the capsule isn't getting power.

This is going to take tracing the circuit with the schematic.  I'm still learning this stuff too (and will be for decades!), but I have a joke based on my guitar amp repair experience. 

I've repaired probably getting close to 100 amps now.  I believe every 3rd or 4th person is convinced they fried a transformer.  I have replaced 5 transformers, 2 of which weren't really needed!  "It's definitely a transformer!"

Latest posts

Back