interchangeable transformers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bancho

It would be really nice if there was be a thread where all the transformers for different utilization are summed.
The transformers would be grouped by same specs and/or practical use. 
I'll give an example:
LA-2A:
Input
UTC-A10 , HA-100X , Stancor WF-20 , Sowter 1009 . . .
Output
UTC-A24 , HA-133 , Stancor WF-34 , Sowter 1010 . . .

Maybe someone who has enough knowledge could make something like this, I don't ... something similar like Sowter has but with all the possibilities.
Maybe such list already exists and I'm just not aware of it?
If it would be here on GDIY and there is discussion below the main thread (which would be regularly updated) it would also be of extreme value.

...maybe I'm just dreaming .... I need coffee...

Here I found pretty extensive list...
http://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/4227/the-ultimate-audio-transformer-list/
but not exactly as I imagined

Transformers are very different. Think of it as "personality".

No substitutes for anything really - other than the 100% clones of e.g. historic microphone transformers.

Jakob E.

The transformers would be grouped by same specs and/or practical use. 

This is pretty much what the vintage transformer catalogs do.  There are lots of those out there from nearly every manufacturer.

The list in the link looks useful for project specific reference but it can create some blind spots in the someone who is just getting their feet wet in the subject.  For example, 1176 list the UTC O-12,  Then they list Triad HS-56 for Pultec, Triad A67  and UTC LS-30 for Spectra Sonics,  An LS-30 should work fine on an 1176 but it probably will not fit physically.  An A-20 or A67 might do fine.
So if you need exhaustive list for 1176 the knowledge would be low impedance , line matching., or repeat coil(just another name for essentially the same thing) with at least one side strapable for the needed impedance ratio.  They are often called "1:1"

For the LA-2A  it would be 15K:600, cap coupled, primary can either be split (Push Pull) or single ended. Also called line matching. 

Those are coarse points based on general spec and answering the question "Will it work?".  "Will it be ideal and work exactly as the original?" always takes more time to evaluate depending on how picky you are.

I always thought the sleuthing was one of the funnest parts of DIY land .  . . . . . you don't want it to get too paint by numbers  ;)

Back