Interest in DIY SMD Tools?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You make a fair point - sorry - I didn't mean to simply shoot you down.
I spent $2 on those t junctions :) that's cheaper than a mechanical switch! :)

A short update for those of you who are interested.

I've started dabbling a little more, this time, in a simple solder paste dispenser, for doing individual pcb's. (I normally do a train of designs on the same PCB - getting masks for each of them isn't always easy).
I tried using a regular aquarium pump, connected to a syringe with paste in it, and found that it works for a few minutes, but really - the aquarium pump simple doesn't have enough ooomph for anything over a two dozen bursts.

I then tried connecting my air compressor (harbor freight 3Gallon Pancake compressor) and was deeply disappointed to find that the compressor itself had a leak in it's output connector. (will be returning it to them today and hope that they are nice about it...).

Anyway, I noticed how loud the air compressor is in my little garage lab, and pondered if I really needed that big a system for a product that doesn't really use that much air (typically short bursts of less than a second). And then it hit me.

Couldn't I use small canisters of compressed air? I'd seen this over at hackaday: http://hackaday.com/2011/06/27/solder-paste-dispenser-hacked-to-run-off-compressed-air-cans/  but thought that it looked a little large and messy.
Here's my thought - how about using small CO2 cartridges - the kind that are used for food, or for blowing up tires.
p9892271reg.jpg

This kind can be purchased at almost any sports store in the US. (They are also used in the old seltzer bottles -  so they may be available in supermarkets too!)

I'll have more to report soon - just wanted to keep y'all in the loop. :)

/R

John,

I can't help but smile at your suggestion. Can't tell if your joking or of your serious! :)

I've ordered a Schrader valve (bike) to 1/4" NPT adaptor. I guess you could hook anything to that!

just wanted to update those who are interested.
I just finished a solder paste dispenser pen, created using dispense tips, 3cc syring, an air compressor and a 3way t connector (used as valve with my thumb over it) and an inline valve, similar to those used at the gas station to pump air into your tyres.

It's suprisingly effective! :)

I have a mic pre controller board here that I test with, as it has a bunch of 0805 resistors and 14pin tssop. it does a GREAT job. However, I ran out of solder paste before I could get a decent video clip. Isn't it always the same? :/

Slightly off topic, but I'd like to learn how to work on SMD boards. I wish there was a small SMD project around to help me get my feet wet. I would just make a board from a simple schematic, but I suck at doing layouts.

Anything SMD projects come to mind?

Rochey said:
:)

Still waiting for a specific resistor value from the other half of Expat Audio. Until I get that, I can't finish the user manual.

/R

Bah. Sorry to hijack the thread. I appreciate all of the learning. SMD is on my to-do list.

YAHOOOOOO!

For those of you following my antics with the vacuum pen and solder disensor here's a short update:

today i hooked up a solenoid valve to my vacuum pen, with the wants to control it from a footswitch (momentary on off, hold down switch to activate vacuum etc)

My current system uses a t junction between teh vacuum source and the pen. by closing (putting my finger over) the unconnected opening the vacuum is forced through the pen. By opening the connector, the easiest path for the vacuum is no longer through the pen.

It works well in a manual system, and i wanted to replicate it with a solenoid valve instead of my finger!

only problem is that the valve is NC (normally closed) - which forced the vacuum pen to be sucking all the time. What I needed was a way to force the valve open by default, then use the footswitch to close the valve.

a little tinkering later, and i had a circuit that implemented a discrete NOT function, as well as the footswitch control function using a few resistors and a few penny transistors. I'll post a schem soon.

with this form of digital control - this vacuum pen could be easily connected to my cnc machine.

here is the schem i used. probably not the best, but it worked first time :)

also, just in case its not on the schem, there is a diode wrapped around the solenoid, similar to relays.

cheers

/R

Attachments

• IMG_1206.JPG
    IMG_1206.JPG
    466.7 KB · Views: 39
In a flash of clarity this morning, I realised that the first PN2222A could be replaced by the footswitch itself. (doh!)
However, this circuit will allow me to drive a digital signal in at this point too... making it very pickandplace friendly.

cheers

/R

p.s. just ordered 2 more valves for the solder paste dispensor. :)

short update.

I've reprogrammed one of the digital mic pre front end boards (http://www.expataudio.com/expatshop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=6) to do both vacuum control and air pressure control from the same footswitch.

Once I get it all working, I'll build a prototype and offer pre-programmed controller chips and the board above on the expat audio website. if any of y'all are interested.

(hint: feedback is good)

/R

very cool rochey!  been quitely following this and you've probably kick a lot of us in the rear by providing these simple SMD tools to start using SMD parts.  looking forward to more of your DIY SMD ideas!
kindest regards,
grant

small update -- this is getting to be like a blog! :)

now have the circuit working from one footswitch, with a toggle switch on the front panel switching between vacuum from a hacked fish pump and air pressure (from an air compressor -- easily replaced with a compressed air can)

in air pressure mode, one tap does a single shot of compressed air, and then holding down the footpedal for about 3/4 of a second then engages a longer shot of compressed air, until you release the footswitch.

In vacuum mode, pressing the footswitch simply engages the vacuum (and switches off the atmosphere valve)

It's looking to be really really cool.  ;)

Tomorrow night, I'll be putting all of this in an enclosure, and hopefully adding a circuit (and code) that can change the single shot time using a potentiometer.

I promise a video tomorrow :)

/R

Latest posts

Back