investigating the russian 6S6B-V tube

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe something like in this thread:

http://fr.audiofanzine.com/construction-de-micros-amplis-pr/forums/t.579060,micro-a-tube-base-sur-une-triode-5719.html

Technical foam (closed cells).

Easiest way to find and pretty good for multiple purpose of damping anything in microphones:

Attachments

• fc.jpg
    fc.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 121
I  tried it now with sugru. The rubber gets pretty stiff so you can take the tube out and put another one inside and the rubber can withstand 180 Celsius –  thank you for the inspiration

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 122
can't tell you yet, but I will  let you know if I run into problems. btw here is a recording with a m49oid mic. This is just to get an idea about the noise level of a 6S6B tube. Capsule is a generic Chinese k67 style. some cello picking with mic on cardoid and preamp on 40dB gain of a Sound Devices Mixpre3 https://wolke7.grandprixdamour.com/index.php/s/gq7tsQnbhHLX3Xt. the crows at the end are through closed double glass windows. I had to switch of my monitors cause the noise level of the speaker was audible on headphones.

My last question was somewhat ambiguous. Just to be sure, I didn't mean "did you notice any difference after the rubber stiffened?",  but" did you notice less microphonic behaviour after you applied the rubber around the tube?"  :)

The sample sounds cool, but I'll have to listen on some good cans later.

micaddict said:
My last question was somewhat ambiguous. Just to be sure, I didn't mean "did you notice any difference after the rubber stiffened?",

I didn't install any damping yet, right now the tube just floats in the air. I guess a soft foam is better, but I also guess a rubber is just fine :)

Hi All. Just a tip for tube dampening that I have always found to work very well. 

It is called 6000 series glue. 

It is a rubberised ultra clear and amazingly flexible glue that is perfect for tube dampening.  It also pulls away and leaves no residue when tube replacement is needed. 

It has amazing heat handling capabilities too!

Hope this helps you.

Cheers

None whatsoever.

The 6000 series is by far and wide the best I have ever used.

It forms a skin within 30 seconds and this ensure that there are no nasty surprises.

Cheers

Thanks Ben for sharing the idea!
That's the Ben we need ;)
If  i'll find it locally, then definately i will try it!

Silly question: What's front and back on the 6S6B, or more precise, which pin is number one? The left or the right one in the picture?

Attachments

• 6S6B-V.jpg
    6S6B-V.jpg
    611.3 KB · Views: 119
stelin said:
Silly question: What's front and back on the 6S6B, or more precise, which pin is number one? The left or the right one in the picture?
Look in the datasheet to match pins with the dot on the side.

Also, the wire close to the dot (if there is a dot), is spaced a bit further apart from the other wires.
Anyway, that is the case with the tubes I have here.
In case of doubt: use an ohm meter to find the filament connections. Then you know you found pin 2 and 3.

Thank you!

Yes, there is a green dot on one side on my tubes. I'll count the wire close to the dot as number one.
The spacing of the wires is a bit arbitrary in my tubes. 

- Stefan

stelin said:
Thank you!

Yes, there is a green dot on one side on my tubes. I'll count the wire close to the dot as number one.
The spacing of the wires is a bit arbitrary in my tubes. 

- Stefan

There's also always an arrow showing direction of pins.

Attachments

• 6S6B-V-01.png
    6S6B-V-01.png
    671.3 KB · Views: 140
How are the tube comparisons going? I've got 6947s in mine, which of course is Scott Humphrey's idea... But now that I have Ben's bodies, I'm switching-over to them eventually and want to compare to Phaedrus' AC701ks.

Attachments

• IMG_5429.JPG
    IMG_5429.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 133
Don't mind the switches, they were first put in just to take up the space, then the body holes were eventually just covered up. 939 has hole-less bodies now too.

By the way, those are Flea backplates and Luke Audio modded and skinned with 1-micron Mylar.

All my mics are the great work of Chris Prucher of Barbaric Amplification and I'm just the one with the stupid-crazy ideas!

Attachments

• IMG_5457.JPG
    IMG_5457.JPG
    216.1 KB · Views: 118
Back