iphone compass

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kambo

how is it possible to have east and north on different directions on every single day!

Did you calibrate your compass?

I think you have to do some special procedure involving rotating the phone slowly through 360 degrees a couple of times, no?

i did calibrated, yea. this is strange!
it was working perfectly, last week went crazy some reason.
just checked now, its working fine again  :eek:

The fact that these "compasses" are an electrical and battery dependent toy are the reason NOT to use them as a compass ;)

johnheath said:
The fact that these "compasses" are an electrical and battery dependent toy are the reason NOT to use them as a compass ;)

1+
i wouldnt go camping with it :)

Here in Sweden where hiking is a highly appreciated hobby we have seen an increase in needed rescue actions finding people in the highlands lost because the were using their fantastic I-phones as compasses… and at the same time updating Facebook and snap chat;) (well, the last is a joke but the preceding is true)

i wouldnt use it as life saver tool at all... i am just playing with it, in city

pucho812 said:
well when we get them earthquakes, directions shift ;D
oooooh now you scare me  :(
there were some unpleasant news on TV last night re: recent multi/mini earthquakes in CA !
so many of them, could trigger the big one! even it didnt, big one is rather soon!

kambo said:
oooooh now you scare me  :(
there were some unpleasant news on TV last night re: recent multi/mini earthquakes in CA !
so many of them, could trigger the big one! even it didnt, big one is rather soon!

A bunch of small earthquakes could relieve tectonic plate stress and prevent the big one, not cause it.

JR 

JohnRoberts said:
A bunch of small earthquakes could relieve tectonic plate stress and prevent the big one, not cause it.

JR

I've heard that and depending who you ask it may or may not be true.
Frankly the 200+ we had the other day in the salton sea area in the south east section of southern california were not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, what worries people is  a big one a little north west of there L.A. and other more populated areas

pucho812 said:
I've heard that and depending who you ask it may or may not be true.
The mechanism for plate tectonics is that the plates are constantly moving relative to each other.

Earthquakes are caused by adjacent plates getting stuck, and suddenly unstuck moving the entire intervals plate movement in one huge step. Many small steps are clearly better. 
Frankly the 200+ we had the other day in the salton sea area in the south east section of southern california were not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, what worries people is  a big one a little north west of there L.A. and other more populated areas
Of course it matters where the small quakes are, if they don't relieve san adreas or north ridge(?) faults they can still build up to dangerous stress levels.

JR

PS: maybe CA needs to embrace fracking... 8)

JohnRoberts said:
The mechanism for plate tectonics is that the plates are constantly moving relative to each other.

Earthquakes are caused by adjacent plates getting stuck, and suddenly unstuck moving the entire intervals plate movement in one huge step. Many small steps are clearly better.  Of course it matters where the small quakes are, if they don't relieve san adreas or north ridge(?) faults they can still build up to dangerous stress levels.

JR

that clearly explains that you are not a earthquake expert for sure  ;D ;D ;D
but sure, you are a good engineer  ;)

edit: ooops and an inventor :)

JohnRoberts said:

Earthquakes are caused by adjacent plates getting stuck, and suddenly unstuck moving the entire intervals plate movement in one huge step. Many small steps are clearly better.  Of course it matters where the small quakes are, if they don't relieve san adreas or north ridge(?) faults they can still build up to dangerous stress levels.

JR

There are a few things we need to embrace,  and many we don't but  the politicians tend to embrace what we don't need and ignore what we do. Welcome to california.

John you do have great points on the earth shaking... Years ago I was at the museum of science and industry in Chicago. They had a map  of the world  on the wall with leds going off whenever a quake when off.  I thought it was a christmas display so many went off at once :eek:

planet shakes on different mechanism, depends on ur location....

edit:  by location i meant about the layers ; if they r pulling, pushing, overlapping etc etc..

Latest posts

Back