Is anyone still doing M49 yokes?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am pretty sure it does, the bodies are almost identical.

I had not look at the Flea offering, it is striking how it is the SAME yoke ... price is WAY different, though :) Haha
Yes, you are right actually. It looks very very close to the Yoke you and I got. The mic body not so different either. But obviously their price is higher (someone is getting a cut somewhere)
Cut the middlemen 😉

Well spotted 🦎
M

It will be more logical to any European to buy even the “boutique” FLEA Yoke and . . .

Wild Stab in the Dark No. 29873 --

Please forgive me if I am off base ... but, I wonder whether something like this could donate a yoke for your needs at low cost - i.e., around $18 US on eBay.com. Let me know if you would like me to post measurements/dimensions. See photos below depicting a mic body kit I sometimes buy on eBay for around $18 US, including shipping. I often install dynamic cartridges as end-address microphones for ham radio operators - hams like how they sorta, almost look like radio station microphones. I figure you could use just the yoke and associated hardware.

Wild Stab in the Dark No. 29874 --

I sorta, almost suspect (i.e, guess) one could fashion a yoke from "angle aluminum" (aluminum bar stock) and secure it to a mic stand with parts from a cannibalized microphone stand or microphone stand adapter. I often amaze myself at what I can do with a big hammer, hack saw, vice, and some aluminum stock. (Shoot, everyone needs at least one VICE to keep life interesting!) But, seriously, seems one could make something easily enough for around $5 US in aluminum, a couple of screws, and a few fender washers. See photos below, depicting a headset I made with a pair of headphones and a mic boom from a Shure Model 512 head worn microphone. I made the boom mount from a few inches of flat aluminum stock with just a hammer, drill, and bit of shrink tubing. It works a treat.

Or, perhaps, not. I am just thinking aloud, which sometimes gets me in trouble! But then, my road to Heck is well paved with all of my good intentions! :) James

Generic Black body C cr 4x6 V IMG_3962.JPGIMG_1682.JPGJVC Headset project  A cr 8x10 IMG_1206.jpgIMG_1209.JPG

Jenny's M49 yokes have arrived. Only 9 days delivery time. Really great quality for around less than 60 Bucks including shipping per piece from asia. As I said - an absolute no-brainer... Most other exaggerated offers are rip-offs.....

Attachments

• PXL_20240802_082204870.jpg
    PXL_20240802_082204870.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240802_082112449.jpg
    PXL_20240802_082112449.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240802_095034298.jpg
    PXL_20240802_095034298.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240802_082155493.jpg
    PXL_20240802_082155493.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Is it a silly question to ask, why people prefer yokes to spider-mounts for M49s? I understand that it's the original look, but how effective is the shock absorption for such a thing?

Is it a silly question to ask, why people prefer yokes to spider-mounts for M49s? I understand that it's the original look, but how effective is the shock absorption for such a thing?

Might be more about the smaller cross-section / volume, rather than shock absorption?

The yoke is not a shock mount, it’s a swivel 😏
I know it isn’t. I’m asking why one would opt for it rather than a shock-mount with locking screw for swivel. I can understand that some of them are not really built for the job at hand (I’m looking at you, mount for my TNC ACM1200), but for example the genuine neumann mounts do this quite well. So, isn’t shock-mounting also important for an M49?

Not everyone needs a shock mount.

It partly depends on the source of course, but also mostly on the type of floor where the source is located.

Solid (concrete) floors transmit very little vibration into the stand, therefore a traditional swivel mount is perfectly fine, whereas the typical floating timber floor is very prone to vibration and a shock mount is often mandatory.

I do have shock mounts for my 49s. But the yoke is a very cool thing to have.

Also, original M49‘s were internally shock mounted.
I did that in my clones too.
But you can see in some photos that certain studios added some kind of rubber mounts between the yoke mounts and the mic stand. So maybe the internal absorption wasn’t enough for some…

This is my M49, from Jenny's yokes, I had to drill a hole in it to put my gems in, and it turns out the material is copper, so cool.

Attachments

• M49 b.jpg
    M49 b.jpg
    978.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Beautiful ! I am curious to know what your Fusion design is like. Did you bend the parts accordingly or is there a CNC involved ?

Beautiful ! I am curious to know what your Fusion design is like. Did you bend the parts accordingly or is there a CNC involved ?
Thanks!
No Cnc involved. All done on my shitty proxxon mill and only two parts done on my lathe. I bended the brass strips with a round glass and pliers. No welding required. That was one thing I wanted to avoid.
That’s the great thing about fusion. You can design and move the parts to see if everything fits and can move freely and also get the needed dimensions before bending.

Some parts you can buy cheap such as the knurled wheels and the pivotable screw.

IMG_2767.jpeg

Back