Is it bus or buss?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'Mike' as an abbreviation for 'microphone' has never made a lick of sense to me.
There was an advert a long time ago about "mike" being your friend or something similar, so I accepted that as the recognized spelling.
Later, when I first saw an article about tracks being miced, I had to stop and try to visualise mice eating the tape or something similar.
In that context, miked would be less confusing.
It's not obvious for non-native english speakers to know that the "c" must be pronounced as a "k".
Same with celtic, which most non-native english would prononce seltic. But in that case, there is no risk of misunderstanding.

Last edited:
There was an advert a long time ago about "mike" being your friend or something similar, so I accepted that as the recognized spelling.
Later, when I first saw an article about tracks being miced, I had to stop and try to visualise mice eating the tape or something similar.
In that context, miked would be less confusing.
It's not obvious for non-native english speakers to know that the "c" must be pronounced as a "k".
Same with celtic, which most non-native english would prononce seltic. ,But in taht case, tehre is no risk of misunderstanding.
I usually see it spelled 'mic'd', which may not be grammatically correct, but is clearer than 'miced'. The appostrophe just makes it clear that it's a form of the abbreviation 'mic', and not some other word.

But then there's the example of bicycle shortened to bike . . . - but then Bike isn't a first name, like Mike, and on it goes - - -

Last edited:
we had a thread on this awhile back IIRC, or maybe some posts.

it is Buss.

named after buss wire, the thick stuff you wire the bus with.

and there goes 5 more minutes ,

Attachments

• buss.jpg
    buss.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 0
So for something broken we could say bussTed but then that conjures up other images 💋+🐻. The term buss probably came from Bussmann Fuses known as Buss Fuses and got misused thereafter. The act of bussing electrically I believe is supposed to have the 2 ss’s so as not to say bewzing for busing - as in abusing the English language.
Mic’s was always the accepted norm when I started in the early ‘70s, so was miking up - never saw micing up 🐀⬆️

Except for the Scottish soccer team Celtic, which IS actually pronounced Seltic … Work that one out if you can!
Why make things simple when you can make them complicated?
After all, what do Scots know about Celts? They're more German than Celts. :cool::)
Miced should really be mic’ed, right??
Indeed. That makes it a tad more legible, but it seems some writers have not purchased the ' option with their keyboard.
:cool:

It’s always been buss for me. I also use Vox for vocal and that doesn’t make sense.

There is no right or wrong with either spelling as both are documented and used.

I also use Vox for vocal and that doesn’t make sense.

Vox is Latin for voice, I believe, as in ‘vox populus’, which will be why JMI used it for their amps.

VOX is also a military/ham radio term for Voice-Operated-Transmit, where an RT set will switch from receive to transmit at the sound of the operator speaking.

In sound engineering parlance, I think it’s just a shortened way of writing Voc’s - another time the apostrophe makes things simple!

Which is some kind of language abuse, and shouldn't be used to justify dubious practice.
I say it kinda tongue-in-cheek, because I hink that language is a means of communication, and as long as we understand unambiguously what it signifies, who cares about spelling?
Even if we wrote buses, would we surmise that there are motor vehicles running in an audio mixer?
OTOH, I don't like it when I see "bus", "buss" or "busses" used to describe an output.
The origins of English as spoken today really stem from the Norman conquest. The Norman rulers spoke French, all documents, including the bible, were written in Latin. English was only spoken by the common folk who had been enslaved by the French (and yes, I expect the French to take the knee and apologise to my ancestors ;) ).

Hence English was an everyday language created and modified by ordinary folk. The result was a very dynamic language subject to continuous modification. So with that in mind, buss may strictly be incorrect but if enough people use it then it will become part of the language. (I suspect tis is true of most languages).

Cheers

Ian

On a related note, last century I attended a technical lecture where the speaker ( not English) complained volubly about the many different pronunciations of the letters 'ough'

Rough
Through
Thorough
Plough

There may be others.

Cheers

Ian

Back