Is it bus or buss?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My3gger

I was reading some American early 60's manuals where drive capability of line amps are described as "up to buss level", while never literature seems to describe it as "bus".
We already had this discussions but it isn't clear what conclusion did we come to.
Did the language change, descriptions aren't consistent, or i don't understand what bus and buss are?

There's not much doubt about it.
Bus is an apheresis* of the Latin "omnibus", meaning "for all", which became synonymous of "common".
Ancient Romans never wrote "omnibuss", because omnibus already has the implicit sense of a plural.

Several american dictionaries tend to favout buses, though, but generally referring to the means of transportation, not the omibus bars with which we are familiar.

*Apheresis (linguistics) - Wikipedia

Buss is an old English word meaning kiss
The old English word buss for a kiss actually comes from the old Germanic language and was still used there until the 17th century. It can still be found today in southern Germany and Austria in the form "bussi" or "busserl" with the meaning of a (non-erotic) kiss on the cheek between family members, friends and acquaintances.

Last edited:
Some say it depends on how/where it's used in a sentence - the physical thing itself is a bus; but the function it's serving is bussing.
Which is some kind of language abuse, and shouldn't be used to justify dubious practice.
I say it kinda tongue-in-cheek, because I hink that language is a means of communication, and as long as we understand unambiguously what it signifies, who cares about spelling?
Even if we wrote buses, would we surmise that there are motor vehicles running in an audio mixer?
OTOH, I don't like it when I see "bus", "buss" or "busses" used to describe an output.

BUS... I mistakenly spelled it with two 's' myself back in the early '80s. I get embarrassed every time I share the RE/P console article I wrote back in 1980, because even I misspelled it back then. :confused:

I recall being in London back in the early 80s visiting with Richard Elen who was editor of Studio Sound at the time. I mentioned in passing that 'buss' was the British spelling of 'bus'. He disagreed violently stating that the proper British spelling is also 'bus'. As has already been shared, the word is derived from Omnibus so only one 's'. As Ian noted buss is a real word with a completely different meaning.

The incorrect spelling was pretty widely used in the trade, but less so as time goes on. I have personally campaigned for the correct spelling for several decades now (one of my several personal pet peeves).

===
For another TMI (Peavey) story. Last century while I was working in product management one of my magazine ads for mixers used the "b" word. I surely spelled it correctly in the original ad copy, and I would have caught the mistake/change when I signed off on the ad before the final art was released to the magazine, but... S__ happens. I was apparently out of town when this mixer ad's final art was released so I didn't see the ad until it ran in the magazine(s). A young advertising department artist thought he was doing me a favor by changing the spelling to 'buss'. :rolleyes: I controlled my anger when I confronted him at his workstation inside advertising (he was a talented artist). He never made that mistake again.:cool:
===

JR

I appreciate there is a right or wrong, but why do people get so hot and bothered about it?

It’s like mic and mike. They both sound the same 🤷🏻‍♂️

(*Flame suit on!* 😂)
My personal opinion is that information transfer is paramount, so the misspelled word does not cause misunderstandings, so no real problem in that regard.

That said it looks unprofessional in written communication and may lead people to dismiss your viewpoint.

JR

PS: Another peeve is phase and polarity.

Latest posts

Back