Is putting a "Neutrik NCJ5 FI-S" XLR/TRS Combo Connector to Patchbay possible???

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishdrop

Hey Guys,

I'm planning to put the rear conections of my audio interface to a patchbay.

problem: my interface has those xlr/trs combo input connectors. xlr for mic input. trs for line input.
i want to connect the trs line ins to a trs patchbay. but at the same time i'd like to connect the xlr ins to a xlr panel. i want to have line ins and mic ins patchable on the front of my rack.

so here's my question:

is there a connector on the market that fits into those xlr/trs combo connectors?
Neutrik NCJ5 FI-S
http://www.thomann.de/gb/neutrik_ncj5fi_s.htm

any ideas for a alternative solution?

I'm not sure, but I think, if you plug a TRS into a Combo Input of your sound card, the XLR part of the connector will be automatically switched off. It depends a bit which type of Combo is used....and there are really lots of types, that all look like the same.

http://www.neutrik.de/de-de/xlr/combo-i-serie/

...markus :) 

mhh i don't know if my combo connectors break the connection if a trs is inserted or not.

i don't see any male xlr/trs combo connector on the market.
so the solution would be to remove all the combo connectors and to attach my own cables directly to pcb and to connect those to patchbay.  arr too much work for this cheap interface  :eek:

i think the easiest way is to make a decision which imput i'm gonna use the most (probably line in) and put that on patchbay.

Find the schematic ...

If I had to guess, I would say that the 1/4" TRS input just goes to a pad and then on to the Mic Pre .....

If that is the case then you could build an external Pad on the line input part of your patchbay and still route that to the mic input.

You need to figure out the normals though ...  Line in on the TOP of the bay putting the PAD as a Half-Normal down to the Bottom where the Mic Pre Input is .... maybe?  Just be careful with phantom power . . . . 

Michael

Back