Need help with vintage Shane E. Young Console

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JML in NYC

Wow this thing looks cool (... for a solid state console). Lots of potential anyway. It came wit the microphone preamp cards. Not sure about these 2 medium sized tranny's though but it's a late 60's early 70's 5 channel, 15 inputs, 6 mic inputs and 9 line inputs (!) +1.0 dbm 40Hz to 22Khz, +8dbm average, with a 2 watt cue amp and 20 watt monitor amp. Could be pretty cool in my recording studio on drums or synth or something!

It's a very odd bird cause it has zero connectivity (except a single XLR input on the side). No power input, line ins, mic ins... nothing. According to the manual you had to bring all wiring in through the bottom for a permanent radio broadcast application and connect via the massive terminal strips inside! Even the power is on the same terminal strip (check out pics).

I've got no EE degree but I'm handy. I'd like to drill the back and put permanent Nuetrik XLR connectivity on the rear of the metal blue housing as well as an IEC power cable jack. Can anyone verify, using the terminal strip schematic I've attached, that I can simply connect the new rear XLR jacks to the terminal strip and it's a go? And where exactly does each lead of the power cable attach?

Thanks in advance! - Josh

Attachments

• Shane E. Young Console.jpg
    Shane E. Young Console.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 86
You do realise there is only one mike amp? The three mike lines go to a selector switch and then the one mike preamp. Thats how they did stuff in broadcast.

While the old Gates Dynamotes, Raytheons, Collins and RCA's only had one preamp in them, I believe this one has more. There are 4 500 series looking slots for additional amp cards and there's three in the 4 slots now so I think you could potentially get 4 mic pre's in this one unit. I think...

Back