Is there a formula to convert v/mV to dB?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Category 5

Trying to find the dB equivalent of 200 v/mV

It is the open loop gain of the 2520 op-amp, but I can;t relate to v/mV!

Thanks!
Shane

why don't you check this META for basic understanding:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=2423

dB is always a relative expression, so you need a basic voltage to relate your voltage to. in pro audio you use "dBu", with the basic voltage being .775v.

the formula is 20*log(X/.775v), where X is the voltage to be expressed in dB.

HTH :cool:

[quote author="Category 5"]It is the open loop gain of the 2520 op-amp[/quote]

200V/mV = 200V at the output for every mV at the input.

20*lg(200/.001) = 106dB

Peace,
Al.

> I can't relate to v/mV

A different way to express gain, in a way that once was practical. 1mV at the input makes 200V at the output. Gain is then 200V/1mV= 200,000:1. Saying 50V/mV actually made sense in vacuum tube op-amps, and the custom persisted until sand-state opamps grew to absurd gain.

BUT: what use is knowing that? Because this is surely a DC gain. That is (marginally) useful in low-speed DC analog computers. And it has "Wow!" factor. But knowing a little about opamps, I expect that gain starts to fall by 100Hz, and may be less than 20V/mV or 20,000:1 in the middle of the audio band, less than 1V/mV or 1,000:1 in the top of the audio band.

In audio, Gain Bandwidth Product is important, DC gain normally is of little or no interest for the usual opamp designs and compensations.

Latest posts

Back