Issues with 5e3 Deluxe build.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
microphonic wires are normal in the first two stages,

break the amp in for about 40 hours then go back and have a listen for problems.

put the hammer down, no back street boys, you need some hellasick breakdowns to get the funk going in that amp,

what kind of OPT? 

here is your practice list right here>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCx0vLoLYzo

CJ said:
microphonic wires are normal in the first two stages,

break the amp in for about 40 hours then go back and have a listen for problems.

put the hammer down, no back street boys, you need some hellasick breakdowns to get the funk going in that amp,

what kind of OPT? 

here is your practice list right here>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCx0vLoLYzo

Well, I don't think Deluxe makes good metal sounds  ;D Perfect for rock blues though.

I used Hammond 1760E as output transformer.

Anyway, I was able to induce the scratchiness problem, so at least we are getting somewhere! (it wasn't it my head after all).
It seems when I touch the strings with a solid brass slide, the amp starts making scratchy noises for some reason... when I touch the strings with my fingers, the scratchiness goes away.
This is really weird...  :eek:

EDIT: I tried it with Tweed Princeton I also made, and it seems to have the same issue... so it must be my guitar then, not the amp. And I guess the occasional intermittent scratches I heard were also caused by the guitar.
But I'll look into that later.

You could connect the 68k resistors directly on the input jacks and wire straight across to the tube with shielded wire. Or if you want to keep the board layout, minimize the wire length between jack and 68k.

I've built a bunch of these in different configurations some with Octal preamp tubes some PTP some with turret boards and usually just "close enough" transformers. Any oscillation or abnormal noise has almost always been a wire in just the wrong spot that needed moved a little bit or simple stuff like that. It's a very forgiving circuit even with wildly ballpark components.

Latest posts

Back