I've been considering something quite crazy

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suggested Larry Block's older fiction about a long slow walk. He really does walk, though maybe not quite a Random Walk. From tonight's LB newsletter:

I've mentioned a just-completed book, but haven't told you about it---and, noodges that some of you are, you've expressed the hope that it might turn out to be a Matthew Scudder book, or a Bernie Rhodenbarr book, or a sequel to War and Peace. It's none of those things. It's not even a work of fiction---except to whatever extent my memory is an unwitting liar.

Because, you see, it's calling itself STEP BY STEP: A Pedestrian Memoir, and it sets out to cover a year in the life of an aging and none-too-gifted racewalker. Writing it, I found myself inclined to examine walking in all the forms it's taken in my life, from when I first made the transition from infant to toddler. I'd never expected to write about my childhood, but it's in here, and so's the long walk Lynne and I took across Spain to Santiago de Compostela, and, well, lots of stuff. I wondered throughout whether anybody would be interested in what I was writing. I was bothered by the fact that the damned thing was all about me me me---but it is, after all, a memoir, so what did I expect? And I was concerned that readers with no great interest in racewalking (and that would take in most of you, wouldn't it?) would find the book slow going. Those who've read it so far insist that's not that case, (Of course maybe they're just trying to keep from hurting my feelings. Maybe. . .oh, never mind.)

I don't know exactly when STEP BY STEP will be published, or if that's the title we'll stick with. I expect it'll come out sometime in 2009, by which time I'll very likely have told you still more about it.

www.lawrenceblock.com

I have been reconsidering this, as the threat of getting hassled by cops is a very real one, and I can just see me spouting on about getting an engineering degree landing me in a nuthouse. Isn't it sad that I am most afraid of the ones paid to protect me? I'm not saying there aren't ways around this (perhaps alerting area police departments and highway patrol that I'll be in their neighborhood?) but I don't know if it's worth the trouble.

I have an alternate idea for an adventure for next summer, but I'll need some real money to pull it off. I'll start another thread about it as soon as I do some research, but to give you an idea, it involves a motor, tons of batteries, and a trip across the country.

As if that won't give it away completely.

There are also some solar cells in there somewhere.

And an old Fiero that's been stripped out.

Can you guess yet?

[quote author="Svart"]
Appalachian trail is beautiful. I've had a wonder out there near ATL.

:thumb:

My neck of the woods.[/quote]
I love it out there, well at least wherever I was. Don't remember the name, but it was close to a really nice little town of old style shops that had all sorts of cool native american art and carving. cool.

[quote author="Svart"]Come walk through ATL, Consul, and you'll be beaten, robbed and then arrested for vagrancy.. all by the same cop![/quote] LOL!

[quote author="Svart"]Seriously though, anyone seen walking down the road with a backpack on WILL be stopped repeatedly by the cops anywhere near ATL and it's suburbs. Heck, I've been stopped just riding my bike down the road many times![/quote]

[quote author="Consul"]I have been reconsidering this, as the threat of getting hassled by cops is a very real one[/quote]

Is it seriously that fucked up in your country? damn... even walking in daylight?

-T

To be honest, I really don't know. Beatpoet's story sure doesn't paint a nice picture, but on the other hand, a lot of people have walked cross-country and not had any issues. A lot of it has to do with people confusing their values for your own ("What idiot would walk anywhere when we have cars?") and assuming there is something wrong with you mentally if you decide to do something they never would.

I suppose you could 'Walk Across The Country For Cancer' or something like that. That way you'd get local press everywhere you went...

And you could take donations for a good cause.

Or, find some kind of new skateboard or scooter that they are going to make an infomercial for, and you could be that crazy dude in the infomercial who went across the country on a Scoot-n-Toot Wazadoo!

I'd say go for it, but I don't think you can get away with the appearance of transience as you could in the past.

LOL Svart!

I even go the the Appallachian trail in the winter. I had my Girlfriend drop me off the day before a snow storm with all my 4 season gear and my dog. We had a blast. I go between NJ and NY section starting at the PA border. My dog has saddlebags and boots lol. She carries her own food.

Back