Greetings from a 15-year newbie

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ax

Hello there,

I found this community through gearspace (I didn't even know they rebranded until the other day), after finally trying to do some research on how to eliminate EMI in my recording space. I'm not a professional, but vocal storytelling and producing radioplays has been a hobby for close to 20 years and I've always been in love with mixing sound effects and drudging through various sfx libraries for hours to see what sort of scenes they invoke in my mind. I'm not in it to pursue an income. It's just my creative outlet and I want to get back into it. But I'm not happy with the quality of my sound.

I never really took the time to learn. I figured out how to maky my DAW do what I want without really knowing why. I turned the knobs on my mic preamp/processor strip until it sounded good to me. I didn't bother to understand any of the technology. Well, in the last few years I've found myself partially-disabled and with a lot of downtime on my hands now, so there's really no excuse not to try to apply myself to something I still consider a passion, so I'm here to learn! I'd really like to build my own microphone. I want to start by hopefully trying to repair my first "big purchase" microphone that stopped working properly about five years ago, since I'm sure that will be markedly cheaper and less risky in case I screw something up since it's already busted.

But I just really need a new hobby at this stage in my life and when I started reading through threads about people having built their own mics and that most engineers/audiophiles learn to build or mod their own equipment to avoid breaking the bank, I couldn't believe I'd never had the thought before. I'm a little slow, so hopefully I'll be able to catch on and join in with everyone here in what seems to be a really exciting passtime. Thanks a lot for welcoming me!

Latest posts

Back