Jon Wolfert on 50 Years of JAM Jingles - Post removed due to censorship

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been at least a few years when John reached out to me to say "hi" and I doubt I have any current contact info.

Wayne, I've gotten to the point where driving 80 MPH for hours and dodging semis (driven by meth heads <g>) was more than I wanted to deal with! Interestingly, there is just enough work for me here in Salina to keep me active. The fleet of Ampex ATR-100's (hell, I've lost count...I think it's up now to 11 machines) at Acoustic Sounds can keep anyone busy! lol That and the Doug Sax mastering lathe system....

Bri

Speaking of radio jingle companies in Dallas, PAMS was the biggie (and briefly mentioned in the Radio World article). Wolfert ultimately bought them out but there is still a PAMS website owned by JAM. It seems to be a tribute site, but has tons of PAMS history pages and pictures. I liked the custom Ampex 1" 10-track built using what looks like 351 series vacuum tube electronics channels.

For USA Baby Boomers, they also have audio tracks of 1950's-1970's jingles they made for many stations here in America. Fun nostalgia!

http://pams.com/index.html

Bri

Frampton and Joe Walsh! lol Did Jon learn the art when he was at PAMS? I clearly recall 1960's KOMA jingles with the "talkbox".

"(Music) a go-go. KOMA 1520" .... (Music) being the Sonovox portion, with the rest sung by the PAMS vocal group.

Bri

KOMA was one of two Top-40 stations battling there in my hometown of Okla. City. They had a blowtorch 50 kW signal with a three tower pattern at night, protecting WWKB (WKBW) in Buffalo, NY.

A friend I met in the 1970's grew up in Barstow, CA. He and his friends listened to KOMA at night! OTOH, you could barely hear KOMA in Tulsa (90 miles NE) at night.

You can see the null heading NE but not the skywave blasting west.

Bri

Attachments

• koma_am_night.gif
    koma_am_night.gif
    19.1 KB
Last edited:
@pucho812

I guess there may have been some sort of kerfuffle between members here, perhaps(?) on that section I (thankfully) don't read.

The original article was:

https://www.radioworld.com/columns-and-views/roots-of-radio/jon-wolfert-on-50-years-of-jam-jingles

And my comments in this thread are totally disjointed with out much context.

I am one of maybe two or three members here at GDIY who had a lot of work experience in the radio broadcast biz. So I've been always quick to jump in with my thoughts if someone mentions "radio".

The cart machine thread is also blown up just when I was gonna reply and show some pix I finally found. I need to start a new thread just for the 2 or 3 folks who had memories and/or cared about an arcane piece of radio station gear.

Bri

was the post removed? I can't see it.
I removed it.

My benign Rockford Files post was deemed too controversial due to what appears to have been a single forum member's complaint and was moved to the hidden section effectively censoring it. I will not invest time to generate content here without compensation only to be abused by this forum's censorious snowflakes.

All it takes for a thread to be nuked is a single member's comment to poison a thread and/or a single member's complaint to have it removed where it cannot be seen. It is an untenable situation and the level of censorship here is becoming ridiculous.

I have removed all recently-generated content which will eventually be banned anyway and have asked to have my accounts deactivated. I am not alone and have had several members contact me offline, through a different venue, with similar complaints.

Group DIY received $240 per annum from my business account and an annual membership for my personal account. That revenue is now gone not primarily due to censorship but what I and others now see as growing toxic environment in the technical sections created by only a few members.

Having the Rockford Files post moved to no man's land was the last straw. I've had enough.

Last edited:
I removed it.

My benign Rockford Files post was deemed too controversial due to what appears to have been a single forum member's complaint and was moved to the hidden section effectively censoring it. I will not invest time to generate content here without compensation only to be abused by this forum's censorious snowflakes.
Not a hidden sub-forum but designed to be easier to ignore for members who do not care to be bombarded with controversy especially in the heat of a presidential campaign. If it was censored it would be deleted, not just moved. Calling us "censorious snowflakes" is insulting and inaccurate.
All it takes for a thread to be nuked is a single member's comment to poison a thread and/or a single member's complaint to have it removed where it cannot be seen. It is an untenable situation and the level of censorship here is becoming ridiculous.
I have had members report me to me, so there is judgement involved in moderation. It is not automatic, I did not ban myself. ;)

I agreed that the thread was political. I even posted to that thread with my own political sentiment (1984 predicted government misbehavior). But after the complaint I moved the entire thread, including my post, to the appropriate sub-forum.
I have removed all recently-generated content which will eventually be banned anyway and have asked to have my accounts deactivated. I am not alone and have had several members contact me offline, through a different venue, with similar complaints.
I believe you are over reacting.
Group DIY received $240 per annum from my business account and an annual membership for my personal account. That revenue is now gone not primarily due to censorship but what I and others now see as growing toxic environment in the technical sections created by only a few members.
Toxic behavior is clearly against the rules. Feel free to report any incidents of that.
Having the Rockford Files post moved to no man's land was the last straw. I've had enough.
I'd say "see you around the internets" but you posted that you are "deactivating" my account on your forum so maybe not so much.

Good Luck and good health.

JR

Back