JTM45 Clone Bright channel

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilfungo

Hi
I've built a JTM45 Clone
The amp sound good just a little to bright for me.
After few ivestigation with oscilloscope I have disover that the bright chanel have a strange sine waveform.
The normal channel not.
I've changed tube, caps and resistors on the bright channel but nothing help.
If I remove the bright cap and bypass cap on 270k mix resistor the problem go away...
I don't know if it's a problem, but someone with more experinces can help me?

Attachments

• JTM45 BRIGHT CHANNEL.jpg
    JTM45 BRIGHT CHANNEL.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 41
  • jtm45 NORMAL CHANNEL.jpg
    jtm45 NORMAL CHANNEL.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 53
Probably layout and wiring. Can you post a pic of your build?
Would you explain why would problematic layout give scope picture like for bright channel? I'm asking because i was mostly lucky with layouts and never seen such picture because of it.

Tomorrow I will post some pics...
It's strange only on bright channel.
Same tube and few other component before the summing resistors and I have replaced all with same result.
Thanks

Looks like a very neat wiring job. Does anything change on the waveform when you poke around or tap various components with a wooden chopstick?

Last edited:
Hi Matador
this is with 100mv square wave input
I 'm not an expert with oscilloscope, I know only see the signal but not decifrate it...
But the problem seems on both channel but more on Bright?

Attachments

• Bright channel square wave.jpg
    Bright channel square wave.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Normal  channel square wave.jpg
    Normal channel square wave.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 15
This is with no signal input , at max level

Attachments

• Bright channel full no signal.jpg
    Bright channel full no signal.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 12
  • Normal  channel full no signal.jpg
    Normal channel full no signal.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 19
All this misuration are on the output jack.
If I come back with oscilloscope the signal is perfect until the summing resistors point
after the problem come back.

with square wave and load on output I can ear hi frequency ringhing from output transformer.

Last edited:
Looks ok, like noise, not osc. What is that switch you have on the back panel? It looks to be connected to the 1st tube thru some caps......I can't quite tell

Looks ok, like noise, not osc. What is that switch you have on the back panel? It looks to be connected to the 1st tube thru some caps......I can't quite tell
It's simple 3 position cathode bypass cap, I've disconnetted it tu be sure but is not th problem
The only differnce between the Normal and Bright channel is the 100pF and 500pF on the Bright channel. What happens if you disconnect them?
I've tried and the channles are near the same but analyzed only with sine wave...
I need to try with square wave, the problem is more evident.

Latest posts

Back