Keeping the lights on

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

I always wonder how a studio with expensive gear like a new ssl aws console and a lot of other expensive gear and large staff lost can charge a day rate of 400 dollars and still keep the lights on, especially in places like nyc or l.a. it baffles the mind.

How many studios are there that actually keep a large well-paid staff and where the gear gets turned on at all, let alone actual use for recording/mixing of music? Seems to me the business models often revolve around making videos (how-to-mix tutorials etc.), hosting well-paid how-to-mix courses, using the studio as backdrop for fotoshoots and video productions etc., recording voiceovers, audiobooks etc.

And with a modern AWS console and not much else, do you even need any staff? Many well-equipped studios I know of are owned by people who don't have to make money from the recording studio itself, but rather from songwriting / production credits or work completely unrelated to anything music.

Sadly, I don't think the kind of sound quality a big analog studio brings to the table isn't something that is required for sucessfull marketing of music today.

There are very, very few that operate at any kind of profit. US tax law encourages artist-owned studios, who use their "cache" to attract vanity projects. This is why SSL has moved towards the Live market and podcast market. Worldwide, rent & insurance costs alone discourage new entrants.

Well it comes of the heals of a session recently. Had an outsider in. Did all kinds of things that you would go hmmmm ok on. In the process was bragging about their spot and when I looked if up. Had a large staff on the website. Lots of fancy new toys like the afore mentioned ssl and was ultimately charging 400 day rate. I was just baffled they could operate at such a rate. I am not even talking about turning a profit. Just keeping the lights on breaking even

I don't know anybody still operating a recording studio profitably, not like I knew a bunch before.

I have seen what looks like a modest recovery in the live sound reinforcement business over recent months... but that was before the omicron shoe dropped.

I remain optimistic for live sound, studios have been limping for decades, but I expect things to get worse before they get better, hopefully soon.

JR

In my one horse town studios more or less always ran at a loss , typically at the low end it was a converted shed or property where a landlord just needed a tenant to keep the place going over the shorter term . Then there were bigger projects that recieved government funding . Wasnt for the lack of musical talent around these parts , but everything turned to dust in the studio scene here years ago . Dublin you might stand a chance , but the competition is ferocious , and you see the few bigger names in the studio game offering daily rates of somewhere around 300-odd euros . From what I can tell that only gets you the use of the studio , the modern equivalent of a tape op / or Protools guy with head stuck in the computer, sure you can set up any mic you want ,hire in what ever your heart desires , but engineering/production skills are an add-on if you want to pay for them . Course they will make sure theres a hungry guy/gal in the studio team willing to double up as eng/producer because their into the vibe and willing to take a punt on the next latest sensation for a low ball fee .

Your dealing with a lot of personalities at their most rarified in the studio game , my guess is there was no shortage of heated debate between Paul and John of the Beatles when they were hacking out the beautiful details , I bet a lot of that banter had to hit the cutting room floor.

I had the chance to see a gig last night , safely socially distanced , actually out of doors looking in , while most of the older folks took tables inside , masking wasnt manditory at tables , but while moving around it was only good manners , staff remained fully masked while on duty and only were allowed to go unmasked while on their break times , I felt bad about not being more generous with the tips , but my guess is its the bar owners who want their workers wages suplemented by the good old fashioned 'bung' technique , Im not saying the old fashioned back hander or brown paper envelope full of cash wasnt a reality in politics and business here in Ireland for generations , now we have a bunch of bucky beaver politicians willing to engulf the engorged member of the social media corps. its not cash in hand anymore ,its favours in kind . Quash unfavourable content etc.

Its like playing a get out of jail free card when a supposed optomist says its gonna get worse before it gets better , we'll soldier on the best we can. Friendship is about finding common points of interest , dwelling on the differences only divides us .

Win ,loose ,draw theres very few opinions I read here that I dont count into the grander equation ,
Slainté ,Saluts, Cheers or whatever the local dialect equivalents is .

Law of diminishing returns strikes down on artistic endevour , recording is more like a charitable organisation these days , I suspect it always has been , since the dawn of the independant studio . Your the stuff heroes are made of Pucho , no need to become a martyr to a cause either.

John Martyn ,May you never OLD GREY 78

Back