Klein tools

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whitehouse said:
Today, products qualify as Made in America for federal procurement if 55 percent of the value of their component parts are manufactured here. This final rule will increase that threshold to 60 percent this year, 65 percent in 2024, and 75 percent in 2029. This will close loopholes in the current regulation while allowing businesses to onshore manufacturing and adjust their supply chains to increase the use of American-made components. This change will create more opportunities for small- and medium-sized manufacturers and their employees, including small and disadvantaged enterprises, from all parts of the country.

While working at a large manufacturer I was in the trenches dealing with domestic content issues. This is a big deal for automakers now, not many domestic EV battery makers.
====
It is interesting to note that in the early days of America a couple centuries ago, we were a low cost manufacturer of european designs (aka knockoffs).

JR

I used to be a klein fanboi. Now they’re mostly relegated to my portable kit.

The shop is all german. Wiha, Wima, Knipex, Wera, and i think one Hazet piece. They’ve all lasted through heavy, 7-day-a-week shop use and only my flush cut nips have ever needed replacement (every 2-3 years) because I’m probably hardest on them.

Won’t go back.

I used to be a klein fanboi. Now they’re mostly relegated to my portable kit.

The shop is all german. Wiha, Wima, Knipex, Wera, and i think one Hazet piece. They’ve all lasted through heavy, 7-day-a-week shop use and only my flush cut nips have ever needed replacement (every 2-3 years) because I’m probably hardest on them.

Won’t go back.
Me too. I’m a recovering hand tool addict. PB Swiss are the best screwdrivers. I have Wiha hex keys that are made from stainless steel. They are not available anymore. They are so much nicer than the more common chrome plated tool steel. The chrome plated steel is too hard and is easier to mar or strip a hex bolt.

I also have a set of small "precision" Wiha drivers in slot and Phillips variations. Slots for setscrews and Phillips for tiny screws like #00, etc.

Bri

At my age I buy tools that are just good enough to accomplish the task I bought them for...

I just bought a cheap short screwdriver
31E4HdwWATL._SY180_.jpg
because my heat pump outdoor unit (compressor) is too close to my chimney to unscrew the housing fasteners for cleaning, with a normal length screwdriver...

JR

At my age I buy tools that are just good enough to accomplish the task I bought them for...

31E4HdwWATL._SY180_.jpg
because my heat pump outdoor unit (compressor) is too close to my chimney to unscrew the housing fasteners for cleaning, with a normal length screwdriver...

JR
I have that exact screwdriver, that I bought in 1980. Still in pretty much the same condition as when I bought it.

back in the 50s I had a set of these offset screwdrivers. probably craftsman... I don't think I've seen them around this century.

JR

husky-phillips-head-screwdrivers-h2pcossds-40_100.jpg
They are around. I have one. I don’t think I’ve ever actually used it for anything. It’s difficult to apply downward force so is pretty useless.

They are around. I have one. I don’t think I’ve ever actually used it for anything. It’s difficult to apply downward force so is pretty useless.
DSCF0148.JPG

Not much room to put downward pressure on the screws on the side blocked by the chimney.

I expect the shorty screwdriver to be an adequate tool for this application, but I'll find out one way or the other later this week.

JR

[edit= something like this might work too...[ATTACH type="full"]119351[/ATTACH] /edit]

Attachments

• 1703446074768.png
    1703446074768.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Man, I use those all the time! OK, some of the time.

QUESTION --> I am shopping for an affordable set of mini-small screwdrivers for my electronics work bench. I purchased a set a Lowes (big box hardware store if you are from another world.) They are nice, but just a bit too pointed at the tip, preventing the Phillips head drivers from sitting deep and snug down in the screw head to assure positive and secure contact. I am loathe to file the points off to make them right ... so do you guys know of a good, yet affordable, brand or particular set I could try. I am a mere hobbyist, but a lousy tool spoils the whole project. THANK YOU. James

James

Last edited:
I remember using the old offset screwdrivers when working on cars to get at blind screws.

[edit- since I was stuck out in my laundry room roasting a half pound of green coffee, I took the opportunity to search through my old tool box from the 50s, a hand me down from my older brothers with only one working latch.

I didn't find my old offset screw drivers but did find a right angle screwdriver/allen key combo that came free with some furniture or whatever that required customer assembly. That phillips end was to big to engage the housing screw heads, making me second guess whether my shorty screwdriver will work. [/edit]

JR

Last edited:
QUESTION --> I am shopping for an affordable set of mini-small screwdrivers for my electronics work bench. I purchased a set a Lowes (big box hardware store if you are from another world.) They are nice, but just a bit too pointed at the tip, preventing the Phillips head drivers from sitting deep and snug down in the screw head to assure positive and secure contact. I am loathe to file the points off to make them right ... so do you guys know of a good, yet affordable, brand or particular set I could try. I am a mere hobbyist, but a lousy tool spoils the whole project. THANK YOU. James

James
Here's what I bought years ago....from Mouser IIRC, but they sell them direct as well:

https://www.wihatools.com/products/precision-slotted-phillips-screwdrivers-7-piece-set
Bri

They are nice, but just a bit too pointed at the tip, preventing the Phillips head drivers from sitting deep and snug down in the screw head to assure positive and secure contact
Using the slotted driver works in a pinch. I've actually started growing more fond of the slotted types as I get older and the metal seems to get weaker.

31E4HdwWATL._SY180_.jpg

JR

I bought the exact same (looking) stumpy screwdriver from a street stall in Ronda, Spain ..and the top flips open to reveal a cigarette lighter inside!

(Couldn't for the life of me work out how to get a refill nozzle alongside the blade to top-up the liquid gas, then found - stupid me! - that the blade pulls out to refill it!)

Here's what I bought years ago... (7-piece set by Wiha Tools)

Thanks for the lead, @Brian Roth. I found a set of 4 Phillips (only) Wiha precision screwdrivers for an almost affordable price. I have no beef with my current slotted type, so I may order this set of 4 Phillips only drivers.

While this cuts into my bourbon budget, I long ago learned good tools cost good money and cheap, lousy tools are no fun and can spoil the project. Trying to save money buying poor quality tools is a false economy. But, Heck, you guys know that! Thanks, again for the lead. James

Back