Knobfeel

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mushy

Reviews based purely on the feel of the knob.

http://knobfeel.co.uk/

mushy said:
http://knobfeel.co.uk/

And I thought I needed to get out more often! it doesn't surprise me that the site's in the UK - it's our peculiar British humour, y'know.

To be semi-serious about this, a great deal of effort goes into control ergonomics (feel and laws).

At Peavey we tooled up dual durometer knobs (hard plastic inner with soft rubber outer layer), and used faders with dual drill rods to support the wiper for better fader feel on larger consoles.  Just like people used to kick tires on cars, they feel the faders on a mixer/console to estimate quality.

Mackie famously injected some odd fluid into the rotary controls of his early (Tapco) mixers, to make them "feel" better, with strange results in cold weather, or after sitting unused.

JR

I've done a lot of research in this area, oddly enough. I find Alps carbon to win the blind shoot-outs every time. And they're nice and cheap! I recall a visit from the Clarostat rep, where he brandished a cheapo Alps, stating how nice it felt and how clients liked them...

thermionic said:
I've done a lot of research in this area, oddly enough. I find Alps carbon to win the blind shoot-outs every time. And they're nice and cheap! I recall a visit from the Clarostat rep, where he brandished a cheapo Alps, stating how nice it felt and how clients liked them...

I've always been happy with Alps, but I think I already said that... and my experience was years ago.

JR

I really like the feel of the detented Alpha RV16xx 16mm metal-shaft pots - somehow they work very well with my favorite bakelite control knobs. But be ware; they dont like ANY DC current flowing across them, or they get noisy. Electrolytic coupling caps basically can't be used with these, if you aim for better than average circuit lifetime.

Jakob E.

I recently ordered some 'smooth' (this is what they were described as) 500k/100k log pots.

They actually feel awful and cheap, I am on the verge of buying more expensive replacements

What is wrong with me!? ::)

I realise this topic is about knobs, but even with the knobs on... :/

Back