LA2a input transformer with less gain . . . .

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strangeandbouncy

Dear all,

For years I have been a worshipper at the temple of Teletronix . . . . I adore the LA2a in all it's variations, re-issues, and copies. Now, thanks to our wonderful Dripelectronics( dude indeed!), I might actually get one of my own(hehehe!)

Now, I am not one to criticise one of my favourite boxes, but I have always had an issue with the sensitivity. All that gain is fabulous if you want to plug a Tube U47 directly into it( :thumb: ), but running at line level, the gain seldom gets above about 2 . . . . I am sure that all that level must be nearly saturating the input transformer, (and that's gotta be good, right?), but it makes for a dificult recall as often as not. A part of the range where a tiny movement makes mucho differencio, and a TINY discrepency in the input pot can really mess up a recall in my experience.

What I am interested to know is, if I use a 1:2, or 1:1 input transformer to allow greater travel of the input pot in line insertion levels, will I encounter any problems? I have a handful of HUGE gardners 10k:10k's for example. Would I still be getting enough level to the side-chain? What could I change to bring the gain up in the side-chain if that were the case?

I know that many here would be horrified at the concept of deviating from the original "recipe", and I know that the sound would be inevitably different, but, let's face it, there are a huge number of transformer options anyway! My purpose is merely to make the unit more suitable to MY particular application.

Hope I am making sense!

All the best,

ANdyP

It's a well known mod to swap in a 1:1, even on the Jensen website in the white pages.
Go for it. The worst that can happen is you change input iron again.
It will probably make it sound better, since your signal won't be going thru as much of the Vol pot as usual, however, input R of 12AX7a is high.

You will have an extended high end response with the lower ratio, but this is out past 40 K, but those upper freqs can affect the lower freqs.

Latest posts

Back