LARCing around.... (DIY Lexicon LArc?)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
radardoug said:
I've got more than 300 hours invested in my LARC. Its a lot harder than it looks, particularly when you have to work with hardware that wont do exactly what you want!

Yes it takes time, i've developed first version for a friend of mine who asked other friend to capture comms and send me info, since i'm 2500 miles away in another country, so that was first version, then when he had some issues i've bought 224XL which was broken, fixed it and figured issue out, then i decided to sell it on ebay, had to test it with other lexicons, so i've rented several other units...

Latest version is emulating i8749 and it has same features as original LARC (test modes...) and same bugs as well.
Original LARC has few bugs which most people in normal operation will never encounter, but could appear if 422 connection is bad...

Lot of time and money went into it, to make it right, don't know how much exactly since it was side project, and problem is it's niche market device, not sure how many units have lexicon sold over the years, and how many of those are still functional...

So one that's now listed on ebay will be the last one (kept one for my own 224XL), since importing components from China is more expensive now,  i'm getting PCB's and custom plastic enclosures from there. So won't be making another batch.

..darn, that is an interesting piece of hardware

Some friends of mine are making an emulated version of the 480 (pretty decent, if you ask me, for a soulless software thingy :) ) - is there any chance your LARC could be made to connect to a system running in a computer? I've been trying to convince them to support the original LARC (to ease engineer's transition when lex's are dying), but they shy away from hardware in any type and form.. Ya' know, young people nowadays..  ::)

/Jakob E.

It could communicate via USB to RS422 connector. They would need to do a communications protocol. The Lex one is a bit convoluted, an easier one would be nice.

gyraf said:
..darn, that is an interesting piece of hardware

Some friends of mine are making an emulated version of the 480 (pretty decent, if you ask me, for a soulless software thingy :) ) - is there any chance your LARC could be made to connect to a system running in a computer? I've been trying to convince them to support the original LARC (to ease engineer's transition when lex's are dying), but they shy away from hardware in any type and form.. Ya' know, young people nowadays..  ::)

/Jakob E.
Yes it could be used with computer, but their system would have to emulate original hardware and run original firmware. There are several ways to do this...

Those 480L ASIC's could be ported to FPGA, you can see what are they supposed to do in 224XL schematic (or very similar) so when (if) someone makes it, it will be possible to keep those "alive".
224XL consist of 74xx series chips and can be maintained easily.

Latest posts

Back