Latest DIY-cromatic marimba

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbira

Had a custom order for a Zimbabwean style marimba (wide thick keys and buzzers on the resonators) but she wanted it tuned to A=440.  Took a long time, but I'm quite happy with it.  Delivered it to her in Santa Fe.  There are a few other marimba builders out there, and we set hers up and it was about twice as loud as the other Zim. style ones.  We think that the tubes and keys must just be tuned to match each other much better-the only explanation we can think of. 

Here's some pics:
marimba_one.jpg

marimba_two.jpg

marimba_three.jpg

Mbira said:
eh...they all sound the same. ;D

Haha, wish we could say that of mics, guitars, basses, then only the need for one of each  ;)

BTW, do you happen to know of a nice'n'free sampleset somewhere on the net? Would be fun to toy around with
something like this; for starters in a DAW + MIDI-trigger setup (forgive me the approach  :eek: )

Bye,

Peter

Actually, that's what I do for my arranging.  I use Reason->Cubase and I have sampled each note of each marimba in my band (two soprano, one tenor, baritone, and bass) and then I can just compose for the whole band without having to have five people in my house.  My marimbas aren't in western tuning though and so would be limited use for others. 

Mbira said:
Actually, that's what I do for my arranging.  I use Reason->Cubase and I have sampled each note of each marimba in my band (two soprano, one tenor, baritone, and bass) and then I can just compose for the whole band without having to have five people in my house.   

Good to hear my intentions weren't too blasphemous  ;)

My marimbas aren't in western tuning though and so would be limited use for others.

(Showing my even bigger lack of knowledge w.r.t. non-western music,) is that because of another kind of chromatic scale ?
Note I'm not asking for distributing your samples (!), but simply try to understand what tuning of samples couldn't solve here.

All the best,

Peter

The chromatic marimba above is in Western tuning (A=440), but the marimbas I use-and the marimbas I have sampled- are diatonic and tuned to the matepe.  Matepe is a type of Zimbabwean mbira.  It's 'kinda' close' to a G major scale, but is not based on a Western scale.  You certainly could retune the samples to fit a western scale, but where's the fun in that? 8)

In case you're interested in hearing the marimba group that I lead so you can hear what I'm talking about, here's a link to our website:
http://www.rattletree.com

Back