Leaded Solder...After All!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phrazemaster

Geez I've been struggling through these projects the last few years, using lead-free solder. I hated the idea of lead, yada yada yada. I have a very nice Weller soldering iron that can handle the LF stuff.

Well I finally broke down and bought some high-end Cardas Quad Eutectic (old timers don't flame me, I know Kester 44 63/37 is also awesome....call it audiophoolery but I like this stuff).

Anyway....

WOW! SOOOOO much easier to work with!

Screw ROHS. I'm using leaded from now on...just didn't realize what I was missing and why you guys kept saying don't mess with LF. Now I do.

Although I still have a big stache of the LF stuff, even some high end I might fool with here and there, for most things I'll stick with the leaded stuff.

Hope this was the right place to post this.

Mike

We're not planning to throw away our DIY builds, so I see no problem using leaded solder. ROHS makes much more sense for short-lived consumer goods, of course.

I thought they made an exception on audio guys because we are such a small percentage and do not usually toss things out or was I dreaming. At any rate audio equipment makes up such a small percentage in waste vs the hundreds of consumer electronics. Have fun with the lead. I got used to the non lead solder long ago. Why fight the inevitable

I have a good ventilation fan with activated carbon filter.

I was just nervous about using it and thought I knew better. Ha. NOW I know better! But I am careful to wash my hands after using it.

When I was a kid my dad used to take lead tire balancing weights in a coffee can and heat them up on a gas stove until they became liquid. Then he'd drop them in water and make these weird globby "toys." SHEESH! They were cool but, good thing I never played with them much! Sigh. The things we learn.

The ROHS directive does not seem to be addressing a serious health risk. Lead paint chips, leaded gasoline perhaps, but lead solder, not so much.

Does anybody know one person injured by lead solder?

JR

JohnRoberts said:
The ROHS directive does not seem to be addressing a serious health risk. Lead paint chips, leaded gasoline perhaps, but lead solder, not so much.

JR

I dropped a 5 lb. roll on my foot once................
Jus sayin'
Best,
Bruno2000

JohnRoberts said:

JR

It's more about old electronics causing environmental contamination.

living sounds said:
JohnRoberts said:

JR

It's more about old electronics causing environmental contamination.

Makes Sense.

Lead won't fume up on soldering temperatures. You can rest assured it all stays on the tip and PCB. Just wash your hands after handling either. It's the rosin you should be worried about. It's been proven to cause asthma in many studies related to electronics work environments. Don't breath it in. Too bad it smells kinda good.  :p

Kingston said:
Lead won't fume up on soldering temperatures. You can rest assured it all stays on the tip and PCB. Just wash your hands after handling either. It's the rosin you should be worried about, it's been proven to cause asthma on studies related to electronics work environments. Don't breath it in.

Really? Thats really good to know. For some reason I always assumed (maybe someone told me??) that it did get in the air, but thats makes sense it doesn't get that hot!

There is extensive research and their derived regulations online. This has been a hot topic since at least the eighties because of the implications on health and safety of a whole industry of people.

Kingston said:
Lead won't fume up on soldering temperatures. You can rest assured it all stays on the tip and PCB. Just wash your hands after handling either. It's the rosin you should be worried about. It's been proven to cause asthma in many studies related to electronics work environments. Don't breath it in. Too bad it smells kinda good.  :p

I've gotten some massive headaches and stuff from to much rosin.  The last time was about a year ago.  Since then I bought a small fan and a filter.  Much better now!

I hunted down a Weller on-tip extractor from evilbay, for about half the list price (there was no way I'd pony up for the full price). Before that I had my own on-tip extractor, made from a Weller tube kit and extractor from a chemistry lab (which I sold on to a forum member). The latter was a heck of a lot less costly, but it was noisy as hell. If I'd had the space it would've been fine, but the Weller suits me better as the fan has to live a few feet from me and I don't need earplugs for it.

On-tip extraction is definitely where it's at. The only drawback is that the attachment can prevent you getting your iron into really tight spots. Occasionally, I have to remove the attachment and suck up the fumes.

Personally, I'm more worried about the other carp they put in the solder. And I don't just mean Rosin... They don't list all the ingredients, do they? What about fumes from other chemicals? I don't see a difference between Pb-free and leaded in this regard...

BTW - I find Multicore SAC 305 flows almost as well as the leaded stuff. You can rework it as well. The only downside is the moody appearance...

Justin

Phrazemaster said:
Geez I've been struggling through these projects the last few years, using lead-free solder. I hated the idea of lead, yada yada yada. I have a very nice Weller soldering iron that can handle the LF stuff.

Well I finally broke down and bought some high-end Cardas Quad Eutectic (old timers don't flame me, I know Kester 44 63/37 is also awesome....call it audiophoolery but I like this stuff).

Anyway....

WOW! SOOOOO much easier to work with!

A non-shitty soldering tool with the correct tip and the correct flux makes lead-free soldering as easy as using the old stuff.

Just sayin'.

-a (lead-free for several years).

I hear you Andy. I did lead free for a couple of years. I have an excellent soldering iron, digital temp control, etc. What I like more about the leaded stuff is it sets quickly and it's not so unforgiving on rework.

I actually learned on lead-free, so going to leaded is easier.

I also have at least $200 or more in the lead-free "good stuff" like IA 423 and Cardas Tri-Eutectic, and I'll probably still use those on things.

Back