Liking this 34mm Transound much more than TSB-2555.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k brown

Much less of a top peak makes it far more usable for me. Overall smoother and richer sound; drawback is it's a bit noisy and, surprisingly has rather low output. Not an issue for me, I'd only be using for spot mics at low level.

Sound is actually very similar to Kingkorg's C3000B mod, but not nearly as quiet., and very top not quite as extended.

This time, spec sheet seems pretty accurate to what I hear - mild lift that starts higher than most of the large-ish Transound electrets.

https://www.jlielectronics.com/microphone-capsules/jli-3412/

Attachments

• jli-3412-cardioid-electret-microphone.jpg
    jli-3412-cardioid-electret-microphone.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 32
  • JLI-3412.pdf
    129.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Yes - TSB-3412AU; JLI just changes the prefix when they retail them - sorry, forgot to mention that.

Last edited:
The datasheet is unclear to me, is the FET impedance converter shown mounted on the capsule (like the small inexpensive 1/4" electret capsules), or is that just an example of how the capsule is to be used?

The datasheet is unclear to me, is the FET impedance converter shown mounted on the capsule (like the small inexpensive 1/4" electret capsules), or is that just an example of how the capsule is to be used?
I'm quite sure "Term 1" and "Term 2" refer to the two terminals of the capsule, one of which is connected to the metal case for shielding, the other being the diaphragm / signal out.

So that schematic is indeed only a usage example.

Yeah Transound does that on a lot of their data sheets for capsule without FETs; can create a lot of confusion.

If you look at the photos of their capsules with FETs, you can see that the backside is a circuit board with solder pads on it.

JLI also has two other 34mm diameter electret capsules, the 3410AU and 3413AU01, which they claim have 2x the max voltage (10 vs 5) and 8 dB better S/N (plus or minus 2 or 3 dB on all those specs). They both cost about $5 US more than the 3412, and come with teflon wires attached instead of bare solder tabs. (The 3413AU01 certainly looks louder, with lime green rings.)

https://www.jlielectronics.com/microphone-capsules/jli-3410au/

https://www.jlielectronics.com/microphone-capsules/jli-3413au01/

Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge of those?

Has anyone methodically compared any of them with the 2555 or the kingkorg-recommended capsules off of alibaba (in the "New-ish electret capsule" thread)?

Last edited:
Unclear what those voltage ratings are about; electrets don't require any.

Maybe refers to the 'standard circuit' (which they don't show) of their testing mic?

Maybe refers to the 'standard circuit' (which they don't show) of their testing mic?
There's a circuit given on the datasheet you attached in the original post, which shows a 'FET impedance converter' (as in .... a JFET!) in source follower configuration.

It's hugely confusing - that style of electret capsule (with a solder tag, no PCB) doesn't have its own FET but the voltage & impedance values they give depend totally on the external circuit.

There's a circuit given on the datasheet you attached in the original post, which shows a 'FET impedance converter' (as in .... a JFET!) in source follower configuration.

It's hugely confusing - that style of electret capsule (with a solder tag, no PCB) doesn't have its own FET but the voltage & impedance values they give depend totally on the external circuit.
I was referring to the two capsules @Paul W linked to.

I was wondering if that could either be about the baked-in charge on the electret, where a higher charge (for the same diaphragm area) would imply a higher effective polarizing voltage, or maybe about applying an optional external polarizing voltage.

Either way it seems a bit low; I read recently that modern electrets can polarize just as well as external polarization.

how do they compare to the 2590
The 2590 has a significantly narrower Frequency Response (Hz): 80-10k, and it matters in use.
The other capsules mentioned have a vastly wider response, like 50 -20K or thereabouts.

As for whether the capsule has its own FET ... I believe the schematic drawing indicates that with a dotted or dashed line indicating the capsule case. If the FET is outside the rectangular case indicator, it is an electret without FET, and if the FET appears inside the box, it has its own FET.

James

Thank you, yes that published Frequency response of the 2590 is what puzzles me and why I'm looking for a similar capsule but wider response. My application is ambisonic and maybe narrow frequency is a requirement for the 4 capsules to work together successfully ?

The 2590 has a significantly narrower Frequency Response (Hz): 80-10k, and it matters in use.
The other capsules mentioned have a vastly wider response, like 50 -20K or thereabouts.

As for whether the capsule has its own FET ... I believe the schematic drawing indicates that with a dotted or dashed line indicating the capsule case. If the FET is outside the rectangular case indicator, it is an electret without FET, and if the FET appears inside the box, it has its own FET.

James
It's also quite apparent from the photo - clearly shows a PCB soldered onto the back to hold the FET, with solder pads marked S, G, D, for Source, Gate, and Drain.

I don't see anything limited about the freq response; are we talking about the same capsule?

Attachments

• 2590.png
    2590.png
    137.1 KB · Views: 0
  • chart.png
    chart.png
    227.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I would take those numbers with a grain and a half of salt (minimum).:cool:

No argument. And yet, one might expect the manufacturer to put its best foot forward in product descriptions, sparking curiosity why it specifies such a limited range if it actually performs better. I would expect overstatement opposed to understatement. As the King says, "It's a puzzlement!" :)

Practice Observation: I find it somewhat constricted compared to other capsules with wider frequency specs. So, who knows ?

Just MY take. (I am not disagreeing, just thinking aloud.) - James

Latest posts

Back