LM7909 regulator extinct

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoisyIndividual

I just tried to buy some 7909 regulators in a TO-220 package to repair a Vestax mixer.
(+9v / -9v supplies for op-amps)

Seems they are now practically unobtainium, though 7809 still available.
You have been warned!

Stranger...

Cant find any on UK sites. Plenty on Amazon, Alibaba and eBay. Also, other sites on the mainland seem to have them in stock.

Could it be only the TO220 form factor is end-of-life?

All of the links in this thread appear to be Chinese.
I perhaps should have mentioned I am specifically looking to buy known reputable products from the likes of Farnell etc. by TI / On / ST etc.

It is these products that now seem to be very difficult to source in the TO-220 package.

Medium term maybe need to look at using 337 regulators. More components I know but if needs must. Also likely less noisy. Alternatively may be able to use positive regulator depending on PSU detail.

All of the links in this thread appear to be Chinese.
I perhaps should have mentioned I am specifically looking to buy known reputable products from the likes of Farnell etc. by TI / On / ST etc.

It is these products that now seem to be very difficult to source in the TO-220 package.

Reichelt.de isn't Chinese and I've never seen fake parts coming from them in Germany...

Last edited:
Is it used to filter hum out or does the circuit need 9 V exactly? If it's just for hum then use a 7808 or do this trick. Put 1 or 2 diodes, bands pointing to ground, in series with the ground pin of a 7808 and you'll have either an 8.6v or 9.2v regulator. Bypass the diodes with a 10 uf lytic

Latest posts

Back