location in profile

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nashkato

is it just me  or is anybody else also getting tired of the always same question for the location of any member ?
lately it seems as if it´d get mandatory to delete your location once you post in the BM .

if you wtb or wts , either way  , location isn´t only helpful , but helps you sell/buy your things even better and faster .

not just the blackmarket , lab , BOM´s ... electronic markets over the world are different and there are things you can get in one part of the world cheaper , and faster than somewhere else .

well, and the chinese ... thats environmental overkill
and  i try to avoid buying their cr... even if they deliever it for nothing right to your doorstep .
but that thingy travelled more than me in my whole life and got a carbon footprint twice my lifespan .
but sure , that´s a complete different chapter ....location helps

peterc said:
Sure does. I would also like to see real names as a rule.

Peter
+1....  real names tends to make people a little more cautious about what they say, since they can be searched and saying stupid stuff can have real world consequences in the real world.

The forum seems pretty calm for the moment, hope I don't jinx it by saying this.  ::)

Merry Christmas and season's greeting all....

JR

JohnRoberts said:
+1....  real names tends to make people a little more cautious about what they say, since they can be searched and saying stupid stuff can have real world consequences in the real world.

The forum seems pretty calm for the moment, hope I don't jinx it by saying this.  ::)

Merry Christmas and season's greeting all....

JR
I like seeing all the fun monikers for usernames. It makes it interesting. But having the person's real name visible in their profile would be good. I generally try to put my name at the bottom of all my posts anyway, because I think it's a courtesy, but if it would help people be more civil or kind then I'm all for mandatory names at least visible in the profile.

I just looked at my profile and it doesn't appear there is even a place for "user's real name" other than their forum name. Maybe this can be added as a mandatory upgrade to the forum at some point?

Mike

EDIT - lol - I actually didn't put my name at the bottom that time.  ::) Guess I didn't realize I've become lazy with that.

Location in profile is really helpful and no downside to it. I will not give my real name in my profile (which I would gladly give everyone her in pm), because I want to keep a little illusion of privacy from data collectors.

Phrazemaster said:
I like seeing all the fun monikers for usernames. It makes it interesting. But having the person's real name visible in their profile would be good. I generally try to put my name at the bottom of all my posts anyway, because I think it's a courtesy, but if it would help people be more civil or kind then I'm all for mandatory names at least visible in the profile.

Mike

+ 1 for the location - I have just found out where that option is and set mine up. :)

However, I think it should not be compulsory to use real names for post as it leaves it open for the Internet trawling bots to pick them up.    I for one, value my privacy.  We seem to work well on the mutual respect of signing off with a christian name as a commom courtesy.

Kind regards

Mike

madswitcher said:
+ 1 for the location - I have just found out where that option is and set mine up. :)

However, I think it should not be compulsory to use real names for post as it leaves it open for the Internet trawling bots to pick them up.    I for one, value my privacy.  We seem to work well on the mutual respect of signing off with a christian name as a commom courtesy.

Kind regards

Mike
I use my real name on multiple forums....  8)

what do the trawling bots do to you? Pick political arguments. (That's more like trolling).    :eek:

JR

PS: I constantly encounter website hacks, junk mail, and even junk phone calls. (hint the IRS will not call you.). Life is a test, we get the answers later after we take the test.

JohnRoberts said:

Don't make the mistake of thinking that other people share your good fortune or your good will.

I don't hide who I am on any forums, but some people have a real reason to, since they might hold or put forth personal views that differ from those of people in their lives now or in the future that might wish them harm, which really does happen -- there are forums like Reddit that actually forbid people from posting any of their personal information for safety reasons. This forum allows discussions on a wide range of topics (some people even choose to post about electronics! craziness). You can't know how someone might be harmed by something they said here in the presence of what's largely a forgiving and reasonable group of people under relatively thin layer of anonymity. What you consider to be harmless -- which is, I expect, almost everything that doesn't warrant closing a thread -- someone else might consider "stupid." Others might not share your good will.

Have you never said something that someone else misconstrued or sounded really awful taken out of context? Have you never employed sarcasm, played the devil's advocate, or espoused an opinion you later regretted, and which would have been erased from history if it wasn't written down? Never edited a post to change its tone? What if someone just starting out makes a post that contains erroneous information, and then a later potential employer finds it and uses it to justify not hiring that person, ignoring the work they've put in since? I'm sure you made mistakes in discussions with others decades before the internet existed, but there's no permanent record of that, so you're shielded from such consequences. Others might not be so lucky.

The utility of real names is debatable anyway. YouTube started requiring real names, yet the comments are still a wretched hive of scum and villainy for the most part. Facebook insisted on real names and other real personal information and has turned so poisonous than I'm not even comfortable having an inactive account that I never log into.

I suspect web anonymity is at least one factor in the decline of civility we are experiencing in the real world.

When there is no accountability for statements, people are not motivated to filter themselves. 

Civilization is all about showing respect and kindness to individuals we do not know (i.e. filtering ourselves to suppress animal instincts).

Even with real names I get plenty of venom on social media, but that is the price I pay for not drinking the same kool aid.

It's nice to be nice...

JR

PS: I have read stories about kids losing out on college acceptance because a search of their social media turned up bad behavior.  Free speech gives us the right to say unpopular stuff but we are still responsible for what we say and do. There is a reason why some street protestors wear masks.

midwayfair said:
some people have a real reason to, since they might hold or put forth personal views that differ

That just reminded me of the time during the runup to the Iraq War, when the hyper-vigilant, hyper-patriotic post-9/11 fervor had yet to wear off.  I felt a real fear about speaking my mind on the internet in regards to the approaching conflagration.  Now, you might think I was being hyper-paranoid, but don't forget that the executive branch of the us govt. went out of its way to encourage that sort of paranoia (and, in fact, anti-war meetings were infiltrated by govt. agents, so the paranoia wasn't entirely unjustified.)

Now, a forum nickname provides only a little shelter from people finding out exactly who and where you are, but it made me feel slightly more comfortable speaking my mind back then. 

There are plenty of other rather legitimate reasons to desire at least a veneer of anonymity to one's forum posts.  And I don't think that losing anonymity is the sole key to internet civility--some of the biggest flame wars I've seen were among people using their real names. 

I think that a sense of belonging, membership, community may be more of a factor than lack of anonymity in contributing to civility.  While certain people here (myself included) may needle others, and occasionally it might get a little ugly, that's not much different from any group of people--anonymous or otherwise.  But if you value your membership in gdiy, at some point you try to rein it in enough to avoid getting kicked out of the group--and I think most of us do value this place.  And I don't think that's really any different whether you're using a real name or not. 

hodad said:
That just reminded me of the time during the runup to the Iraq War, when the hyper-vigilant, hyper-patriotic post-9/11 fervor had yet to wear off.  I felt a real fear about speaking my mind on the internet in regards to the approaching conflagration.  Now, you might think I was being hyper-paranoid, but don't forget that the executive branch of the us govt. went out of its way to encourage that sort of paranoia (and, in fact, anti-war meetings were infiltrated by govt. agents, so the paranoia wasn't entirely unjustified.)

Now, a forum nickname provides only a little shelter from people finding out exactly who and where you are, but it made me feel slightly more comfortable speaking my mind back then. 

There are plenty of other rather legitimate reasons to desire at least a veneer of anonymity to one's forum posts.  And I don't think that losing anonymity is the sole key to internet civility--some of the biggest flame wars I've seen were among people using their real names. 

I think that a sense of belonging, membership, community may be more of a factor than lack of anonymity in contributing to civility.  While certain people here (myself included) may needle others, and occasionally it might get a little ugly, that's not much different from any group of people--anonymous or otherwise.  But if you value your membership in gdiy, at some point you try to rein it in enough to avoid getting kicked out of the group--and I think most of us do value this place.  And I don't think that's really any different whether you're using a real name or not.
So...fear of being kicked out, of retribution, is what ultimately reins people in?

Maybe for some, but I aspire to a higher level of civility - respecting others because it's the right thing to do...I guess that's the difference in motivations for people. I am not better than anyone and I've had my share of not-so-nice moments in my life, but I do aspire to kindness.

Besides, it just feels better to be loving to people. To me, anyway.

hodad said:
Thank you for your condescension, Phrazemaster.  I'll cherish it always.
You’re welcome!

But...it wasn’t meant that way. I thought that was clear when I said I’m no better than anyone and have had my share of not  so nice moments. Isn’t it important to aspire to things?

Goes to show - anyone can take offense at anything.

Phrazemaster said:
Besides, it just feels better to be loving to people. To me, anyway.

And who is me? lol......

JK....I never sign my name......Or do I???muahahahaha

hodad said:

Yikes......

I always thought it was weird when I access some of the politically charged  threads from my cell phone, I get these security certificate warnings. Doesn't happen on other threads..... You can look at the security certificates that are popping the warnings....Like a radar or something...

JohnRoberts said:
I use my real name on multiple forums....  8)

what do the trawling bots do to you? Pick political arguments. (That's more like trolling).    :eek:

JR

PS: I constantly encounter website hacks, junk mail, and even junk phone calls. (hint the IRS will not call you.). Life is a test, we get the answers later after we take the test.

That's your decision John. I take another point of view and it is laid down in Article 5 of  the in the European Commission on Human Rights that I have a right to security and privacy.  I do not have to justify it.  I do make an effort to be civil with my conversations with people in the likes of e-mail and forums,  and as I have mentioned before, I try to imagine I am speaking to someone face to face over a coffee.  Also the conversation is not one to one, or one to a small group: it is potentially one to the whole of the Internet which the majority of people do not seem to appreciate or understand. and then complain about when something unfortunate happens.

Yes, I agree with you in that people hiding behind the anoymity of the Internet is perhaps one reason for the decline in Internet civility, but if they were talking face to face, I think the conversation would be different in tone.

With regards to Internet bots, I choose to minimise the amount of information that I make available to the trawlers of Google etc.  I have a right to privacy as I stated above, which is blatently ignored by high tech companies.

If you want to have a interesting couple of hours, have a look at the metadata that accompanties a Facebook post, a Twitter post  or that is attached to a photograph that you take with your digital camera and post on line.  Have you noticed that one of the major currencies of the Internet is now e-mail addresses.  This is a consequence of modern widespread communications connected with financial greed.

Prevention is the only way - there is no cure as once it is out on the Internet,  it cannot be retrieved or deleted.  The attempted legislation by Politicians to permit retrospective deletion of personal data is pointless and impossible for a very simple reason to do with data labelling, provenance and tracking and the fact that the Internet has no overall governance.

Kind regards

Mike

Yeah I wouldn't publicly post my real full name here either, because my full name is unique enough that Googling it actually leads you right to me. It's not that I have anything to hide, and if we do a PayPal transacrion, well you will have my full name. I just don't think my real name is going to add any value to my thoughts on an audio forum. If adding full names really cuts down on people being buttholes....I think their is a deeper fundamental problem than just Internet anonymity

iampoor1 said:
Yeah I wouldn't publicly post my real full name here either, because my full name is unique enough that Googling it actually leads you right to me. It's not that I have anything to hide, and if we do a PayPal transacrion, well you will have my full name. I just don't think my real name is going to add any value to my thoughts on an audio forum. If adding full names really cuts down on people being buttholes....I think their is a deeper fundamental problem than just Internet anonymity
I agree. And disagree. For some people, the anonymity emboldens them to do "whatever" - it's an extension of "mob mentality" and bullying. It's easier to sin in the dark. But I think if you carry the values of kindness in your heart then it wouldn't matter if your name was shown or not. I'm not preaching or saying I'm any better than any of you. I lost my girlfriend a few months ago because I got annoyed at someone in her presence, and she took offense. Well I have to believe it was much more than that, but the upshot is it's not always easy to be kind. But I think it's important to try.

JohnRoberts said:
I suspect web anonymity is at least one factor in the decline of civility we are experiencing in the real world.

I haven't experienced this. Are you certain it's happening? Are you sure it isn't just the people you're hanging out with? Lotsa people get grumpy in their old age, because they've earned the right, through survival, to not give a crap what anyone thinks about them. :p

When there is no accountability for statements, people are not motivated to filter themselves. Civilization is all about showing respect and kindness to individuals we do not know (i.e. filtering ourselves to suppress animal instincts).

I'm seeing several replies to this effect, so I'm not picking on John, just using his statement as a reference.

People filter themselves all the time in real life, but not the same way in all circumstances. There's a term for it in linguistics called "register": In different social situations people will alter their speech patterns to match that of those around them. Often we do it unconsciously, and certainly without considering whether that register is appropriate for every social situation we may ever be in past present and future. Behavior is moderated the same way. I had a glass of scotch last night, something I would not do at work. I discuss things with my wife that I would not discuss with my friends. I discuss things with my friends, and use words and phrases, that I would not use around my mother. Anyone reading this does the same, because you're a human being. Perhaps you do less of it than other people, or perhaps you aren't aware of how often you do it.

The ease of searchability of the internet has given the impression that one is in the exact same social situation at all times when online. This is an absurd proposition; it's a modern reality that much of one's social and professional life must be conducted online.

---------

More than anything, I am really surprised by how quickly dismissive many people are of members' privacy concerns, simply in the name of perhaps making a very small number of forumites more "civil." Any serious discussion of this should respect the safety and autonomy of the forum's members.

Perhaps this is a failure of imagination regarding what can go wrong. Besides the safety concerns I mentioned before, consider:

Does the forum have the tools to allow members to manage who sees their posts, or the public or private nature of their posts (i.e., will all posts still be indexed by search engines)? Can members block each other to prevent harassment, or do they have to go through the moderators and hope that the moderators also view the offending member's actions as harassment to continue safely participating in the community?

What measures would prevent people from using fake names and fake locations -- and if there aren't any, then why bother?

Is the forum prepared to shoulder liability if members' personal information is stolen from the forum and considered the consequences of what might happen if member names, locations, and passwords are stored by the forum and stolen? (Remember, the fact that we opt in means we do so with a reasonable expectation that our information is also being safeguarded.) My guess is "lol no" on the last one, in which case the entire discussion should be moot.

If something does go wrong, how do you put the genie back in the bottle if it don't wanna go?

Can everyone arguing for this now see that there might be reasons other than the desire to be dicks to each other that many people simply don't want their personal details publicly visible in all locations online?

iampoor1 said:
Yeah I wouldn't publicly post my real full name here either, because my full name is unique enough that Googling it actually leads you right to me. It's not that I have anything to hide, and if we do a PayPal transacrion, well you will have my full name. I just don't think my real name is going to add any value to my thoughts on an audio forum.
I weight peoples comments based on their willingness to take personal responsibility. I participate on a professional sound reinforcement forum where people not only use real names but must declare any business affiliations, to prevent overt marketing.  It is a different environment where established working professionals share their experience.  It certainly makes a difference when a known and well respected industry professional shares insights.
If adding full names really cuts down on people being buttholes....I think their is a deeper fundamental problem than just Internet anonymity
"There" are many troubled people in the world and even using real names does not prevent uncivil behavior when surrounded by like minded friends (this is how lynch mobs behave), the shared activity frees individual participants from feeling full personal responsibility. Coincidentally one of my old industry friends who is diametrically opposed to my politics and is in full TDS melt down and curses in almost every angry post. I am not sure what it takes, but he was actually banned from facebook for a few week time-out. I don't know how bad you have to get to be banned from FB, considering what they allow.
-----
I am speaking philosophically about using real names here because AFAIK there are no plans to require real names here, and with very few isolated exceptions we have a  well behaved group, that respects each other.

Please keep up the good behavior.  "It's nice to be nice" (told me by a huge bar bouncer).

JR

Back