lorlin substitutions and definitions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josh

What I'm asking is what defines these switches? From working with pedals I know that potentiometers are basically a variable state resistor, and you can deviate pretty heavily to get a project working, or just leave them out of the chain if you have a resistor of value lower than the pots spec to use temporarily. These Lorlin switches are doing what then?

I think they are just routing the signal from one location on the pcb to another based on switch position. The degree of travel is simply asesthetic, and 30 degrees of index angle is rather meaningless to a faceplate I will engrave myself. Correct, I could use a 90 if I wanted?

Then we have shaft style, which again is meaningless to me becuase I can modify that on a mill if I need to. Most knobs have set screws anyway. So fully round should be just fine. Same with termination style, if they have *something* there I can use them. I have no problem mounting the pcb's for the swithces to the base of the case.

Then they are either shorting or non-shorting. What does that mean?

Decks, and Poles per Deck, I don't understand either. What is their relationship to one another and to the signal routing? Mouser is the only place in the USA that stocks Lorlins, and they don't have the 1049 or the 1050 as described in the G9 BOM. Ordering anything from overseas is a terrible chore. I searched the internet several times with different variations on "Lorlin Switch" to no avail. So I need to make a substitution here.

Thus can I substitute the following:

for Lorlin CK1049 which has 30 degree indexing, 1 pole, 2-12 positon-

a Lorlin CK1024, CK1054, CK2372, CK1450, CK2393, CK1554, CK2376, CK1044, or a CK1034 found here

http://www.mouser.com/search/Refine.aspx?Ne=1447464+254016+1826979+1826991+1826993+688737+254106&N=1323038+4294778802+4294778794+4294778793+4294964571+254106&GetRecs=1&Msb=0&Mkw=lorlin&Ns=P_SField&Ntx=mode%20matchall&Ntk=Mouser_Wildcards&Ntt=*lorlin*

the only difference is the shaft type and whether they are shorting or non-shorting.

then the Lorlin CK1050 which has 30 degree indexing, 2 pole, 2-6 positon-

a Lorlin CK2369 (non-shorting)

do a search for MBB.
Or I'll just tell you.
shorting (MBB): two positions next to eachother come into contact when you switch from one to the other.
Non-shorting(BBM): The connection is fully broken from position to position.

Shorting is prefered on a lot of things because it will help avoid a "pop" sound when switching positions.

I'd be very surprised if Mouser didn't have what you need for a G9. I get most my parts there. Lorlins are very common. just look for wether it is MBB (make before break) and how many postions/poles.

mouser didn't have the exact switch as spelled out in the BOM that I have, but they did have several others that "seemed" to spec out the same, which is why I wanted to know what defines this type of switch, so I could make an educated guess and shell out the 6 bucks and see if I was right.

You have moved me a step closer toward making that decision and I thank you good sir.

or madam,
whichever :wink:

I was able to use the lorlins with solder tabs (because newark was out of pc mount) on mnats g1176...i used some diagonal cutters to snip off the loops and then they fit nicely into the pcb...just had to make sure of alignment and not force it in: that can cause the contacts to get messed up as they are just pressed into the plastic frame.

If you didn't already, it might be a good idea to call Mouser. Many times they have parts in stock that for some reason or other are not in their catalog. This may be less likely in the internet age but still worth a shot.

H

[quote author="Ptownkid"]Sorry Josh, I hadn't seen your reply, I will be there again this week.[/quote]

That's a great Avatar Ptown :razz:

Back