tired old subject, still no obvious solutions: multideck shorting rotary switche

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emrr

Grayhill multi-deck shorting switches.  Non-stocked pretty much everywhere.  Minimum order 25 pieces pretty much everywhere. 

I'm looking specifically for 71BD30-02-1-AJS, a 2 deck, single pole per deck, 2-12 position per deck shorting contact switch.  But hey, the 1/8" shaft version would be fine too.  I see one place that has them around $37 ea, a bit high but I'll pay it if that's really the only choice. 

I'm starting to feel forced into programming since all the mechanical solutions are diminishing rapidly. 

It was suggested Grayhill may supply samples for prototyping, I may try that route. 

Anyone found a small footprint solution from any manufacturer lately?

I was using a $5 two deck Alpha part from Mouser previously, and they are now 'non-stock min. order 1000 pieces'. 

F!

What about a Shallco C series? They are in your neck of the woods. I've found them easy to deal with.

I'll check those, thanks.  So far I've never had any luck getting email responses from Shallco.  Phone time.....

I've been on the hunt for something similar recently.  Maybe Jeff at ClassicAPI could be talked into stocking some?  I'd happily commit to purchasing some if it helped convince him?

Have you looked at Electroswitch Doug?

Yeah, Jeff is the obvious choice (nudge nudge). With a little dual deck circuit board like the one he has for attenuators. 

Yes!  Thanks Ian!  Order in with Quest.  I left 14 behind for anyone needing a few.  Half the price of the other 'in stock' I found, too. 

emrr said:
Order in with Quest. 

I've ordered a couple of obsolete components from them. I got an actual person on the phone and they shipped the next day. The price was good and there wasn't a $500 minimum. Nice place.

doug, if your still looking for another solution, I got those (black switches on pic) for 5-6 bucks from a local surplus store....I find them better than the alpha ones (orange switches) because they're sealed and smaller. Yet I don't know from which manufacturer they're coming.
I could send you some if your interested...

Attachments

• pots.jpg
    pots.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 18
Thanks, I have some Grayhills on the way from Quest.  I'm prototyping, and it's possible I order a PC mount type in quantity down the road. 

You might try Palazzo for cheap alternative (the owner changed). They have several small, shorting switches i used with good success. They are not as good as Grayhills, but still much better than cheap chinese many people use:
http://www.mdius.com/palazzo.php

My3gger said:
You might try Palazzo for cheap alternative (the owner changed). They have several small, shorting switches i used with good success. They are not as good as Grayhills, but still much better than cheap chinese many people use:
http://www.mdius.com/palazzo.php
...I forget about palazzo...nice & cheap swtches...but isn'nt it closed ?
Here is what we can find on the palazzo website :
Our small company founded in 1966 has ceased its activities' in December 2012 honorably, without any debt or outstanding against employees, suppliers, tax and government agencies.Currently this is a personal site of Beppe Palazzo, 68 years old
that continue 'to provide information and advice on switches and keyboards, by indicating alternative Italian suppliers: small businesses, serious and reliable.

who is the new owner then ? mdi ?

ruffrecords said:
banzai offered them for a long time ... http://www.banzaimusic.com/Rotary-Switch-2-level-2x1x12.html
if you don't mind about the dust, gold connections or stop end position, they're ok...
they also got the 3x1x12 positions for the nevish mic pre....

Back