Lost IN the SEA of MICPRES....

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sage

HELLO THERE

I wanna build a clean looking great sounding mic pre for my writing room - my A room as a modified MCI board with John Hardy's, MCIs and MarSon custom pres, I have also Neves and Focusrite mic pres so I am used to the real things...

I am not new at building DIY projects and I have already completed 2 LA2A point to point replicas, Stereo LA4A, Serpent SA3A...

I am looking for a project that has at least Front Panel (preferable with CASE) , inside PSU, high grade PCBs... I have plenty of spare parts. I loved the SA-3A cause the high quality PCB and front panel made it easy to work and it looks phenomenal.

I prefer project that ship from the US...

Thank you for your suggestion and links,

Sage

If it was a PRE/EQ combo or PRE/EQ/Compressor combo I would consider as well...
Often time what gets recorded in the writing room ends up in the final mix so it might as well be a good recording...

sage

I like things that are as complete as possible ,  quicker and easier but you're
obviously checked out the white market and the rest of the internet , you should consider
500 series pres , seem to be allot of good choice , not ulta super clean BUT great sounding and
clean enough are the Lola from Hairball and the VP 28 from Classic Api  , soundskulpter ,  you can take a basic
312 type preamp and use the best transformers and opamps to get clean ,  don't know who's
doing transformerless pres with face-plates though .

If it were me, I'd probably get more of what you already have...Neve. EZ1290 is great...and there are decent cases available.

Just built two of these A-Range replicas, I am almost at the testing phase. I can let you know.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=48493.msg611974#msg611974

-marc

Thank you OKGB

the Classic API sounds very interesting, so does the Hairball - I guess my question would be to find a DIY project for the Lunchbox as well then... gonna start looking around for those, the 500 type idea is interesting cause I can start with 2 Pres and then implement with EQs and Compressors... good idea...

sage

Latest posts

Back